Sort Pivot table with multiple rows

Hi team,

I have a pivot table in which I selected 2 fields as Rows & dollar amounts in Values

I cannot find a way to sort by descending order of dollar amount for 1st field of Rows without messing up the output sheet

Here is the pivot setup:

Here is the output:

Would you be able to help me ?

Ping @Genevieve P. :)

Many thanks,

Pierre-Eric

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Pierre-Eric Collette

After the Pivot has run, you're welcome to update the formatting of the sheet, such as applying a Sort to re-order the rows. However when the Pivot runs again, it will bring in the data alphabetically again, by default. (See: Organize and Format the Pivot Sheet).

If you need it to always display in a specific order, you could set up a Report that uses the Pivot output sheet as the source, then apply a Sort to the Report. You could also only include the Parent Rows in this Report, if you'd prefer. Let me know if you need help setting that up and I can provide some screen captures.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Pierre-Eric Collette

After the Pivot has run, you're welcome to update the formatting of the sheet, such as applying a Sort to re-order the rows. However when the Pivot runs again, it will bring in the data alphabetically again, by default. (See: Organize and Format the Pivot Sheet).

If you need it to always display in a specific order, you could set up a Report that uses the Pivot output sheet as the source, then apply a Sort to the Report. You could also only include the Parent Rows in this Report, if you'd prefer. Let me know if you need help setting that up and I can provide some screen captures.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Thanks @Genevieve P. for having taken the time to reply.

I understand it's not possible to sort pivot table with multiple fields in rows like it is in MS Excel while grouping rows.

I need to always have the fields sorted by descending amount + capability to group lines:

Say if I have customers & orders # under each customer names I need total orders value by customer and individual orders below each customer name to be sorted by decreasing order value. That I couldn't get it done via Smartsheet together with the line grouping functionnality