Add a ranking list

Hello,

I am new to this site and fairly new to Smartsheet. I would like to provide a list and have participants rank the list by providing 1,2,3 etc to indicate their preferences.

Can anyone provide a formula for this please?

Thank you.

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @BAM2020

How are you setting up your sheet and asking people to provide their preferences? It sounds like you may want to have the list be one-item-per-Column.

Each column name would be the List Item. I would set this up as a DropDown List with 1 - 5 as options. Then you can create a Form for your users to fill out per item.

I would have one row at the very top of the sheet that simply uses =SUM([Column Name]:[Column Name]) to add together all the values for that one item.

Then you can use the Top Row in a Pie Chart Widget on a Dashboard and see which item has the highest Percent (or do other calculations).

If this isn't what you're looking to do, it would be helpful to see a screen capture of your current sheet and a detailed explanation of how your users are providing their responses, but please block out sensitive data.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hello Genevieve,

Thank you for your response. I unfortunately don't have a screenshot to share, but maybe I can do a better job of describing what I am looking for.

We would provide a list of geographic locations and we would like respondents to rank their choices in order of preference.

Here is an example, we provide the following list:

Boston

New York

Atlanta

Chicago

Dallas

Los Angeles

San Francisco

And then ask them to number them in order of preference. We won't be tallying any numbers, but instead interested in individual responses. I hope that made sense.

Betty

• Genevieve P.

Hi @BAM2020

Thanks for this additional information! What do you think of the set-up I suggested above?

You can have each column represent a different location. Then you can also include an extra column that is a "Created By" System Column to record the email address of the user who submitted the form.

So the form set-up could look something like this:

Note that you'll need to have the security settings on the form set so that it captures the email address in order to record it in the Created By column.

Is this what you were looking to do?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hello Genevieve,

Yes, this is pretty much what I am looking for, much appreciated!

I might have more questions, but for now, this info is great.

Thank you!

• Genevieve P.

No problem at all! I'm glad I could help.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!