Global Automation Permissions?

Are there global automation permissions, where the Limited option can be set across the board? All I could find was Permissions in Security & Controls. For any new sheet created, I want to default the Automation Permissions setting to Limited.

Not sure if I'm overlooking something simple. Thanks kindly!

Best Answer

• Kyle Chipman
    Kyle Chipman Overachievers
    edited 01/23/21 Answer ✓

Andree,

I appreciate the response. Doubly appreciate the safe + fantastic weekend sentiment :)

I was thinking more specifically about setting global initial-load conditions for Automation Permissions as opposed to constraining the options for sharing to Only shared users & people in your account. Sheets will still load with Restricted as the default option even with this option selected. I also want to keep third-party apps available for automation to Teams.

I'm about to spin up a bunch of sheets with notifications triggering to users account-wide, and not having to click Automations then the Gear to change this setting would save considerable time. The first bullet point in your summary shows this step is necessary. Alas.

Also, as long as we're chatting, thank you for all your responses and guidance over the years in the community. Your name is always there to lend a helpful word of advice or guidance.

Regards,

Kyle

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/22/21

Hi @Kyle Chipman

Yes, there is, and those are the options available. It's a little confusing because the naming isn't the same.

To set it to Limited, you'd select the Only shared users & people in your account option.

Automation Permissions

Control who can receive automation from sheets based on their sheet access and relationship with your organization. Options are organized from Restricted (only users shared to the sheet) to Unrestricted (any email address and third-party integration, such as Slack).

Keep the following behavior in mind:

• All sheets are created with Restricted permissions, so sheet owners and admins must manually make automation less restrictive at the sheet-level if desired.
    • Sheet owners and admins will only be able to select sheet-level automation permissions that are equally or more restrictive than the account-level automation permissions.
    • If any sheets are Unrestricted or Limited, and you set the account to be more restrictive, then those sheets will automatically adopt the more restrictive setting. However, if you then set the account to be less restrictive, then the sheets will return to their prior state unless they were manually set to be more restricted than the account settings.
    • If a sheet is manually set to Restricted or Limited permissions, and you adjust the account-level automation permissions to be less restrictive, the sheets will remain unchanged.

NOTE: Individual email addresses must meet the account's approved domain sharing restrictions in order to receive automated email notifications.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Kyle Chipman
    Kyle Chipman Overachievers
    edited 01/23/21 Answer ✓

Andree,

I appreciate the response. Doubly appreciate the safe + fantastic weekend sentiment :)

I was thinking more specifically about setting global initial-load conditions for Automation Permissions as opposed to constraining the options for sharing to Only shared users & people in your account. Sheets will still load with Restricted as the default option even with this option selected. I also want to keep third-party apps available for automation to Teams.

I'm about to spin up a bunch of sheets with notifications triggering to users account-wide, and not having to click Automations then the Gear to change this setting would save considerable time. The first bullet point in your summary shows this step is necessary. Alas.

Also, as long as we're chatting, thank you for all your responses and guidance over the years in the community. Your name is always there to lend a helpful word of advice or guidance.

Regards,

Kyle

• Andrew Stills
    Andrew Stills ✭✭✭✭✭

Any chance this has been changed or has a work around? I have many projects with "private information" for which individual lines need to be sent at specific times without conveying / opening up the entire project to the recipient?

The "Restricted" option prevents this ability and forces a rebuilding and entering of the emails on each project. This makes the automation not very automated.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Andrew

Andrew

He who fails to plan is planning to fail. - Winston Churchill

• Andrew Stills
    Andrew Stills ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait... Hold on...

Here was the answer which worked for me. (Not sure what limitations might be imposed on other org's.) https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/72434/automation-permissions-ap

When copying the template it is important to open the "Automated Workflows & Alerts" dropdown and select the "Include recipients & permissions settings" option.

Andrew

He who fails to plan is planning to fail. - Winston Churchill

• Ramsay Zaki
    Ramsay Zaki ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Re-opening this question... I know the Account Level security setting where you can let people select "Unrestricted" -- but every time we create a new sheet it defaults to Restricted and we have to manually change it to Unrestricted. Is it possible to have all sheets automatically go to Unrestricted?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!