Can you refer to the Comments field when sending a message

I am setting up an approval workflow and want to let people who submit requests see why their request is declined by referencing the Comments field. The workflow isn't letting me refer to the Comments field using {{Comments}}.

Is this a capability? If yes, how can I refer to that field in a custom message?

Thanks!

Answers

• hollyconradsmith
    hollyconradsmith ✭✭✭✭

Hi @KLoomis ,

The only way I know how to do this is to include the comments field in the fields selected. I do not think you can put it in line with a message. Alternatively, you could use another column for notes rather than using comments if you need this information to appear in line with the message text.

Holly Conrad Smith

Director of Technology & Innovation 💡 at Streamline

CliftonStrengths Top 5: Deliberative, Restorative, Achiever, Consistency, Harmony

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @KLoomis

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Holly's excellent advice/answer.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• You could use a 3rd-party service like Zapier or similar to automate, so the latest comment always gets added to a so-called helper column that you can reference in the message.

Is that an option?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!