Alert Notifications Not Sending Because of Attachments Added to Row

CAS
CAS ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

i have an alert set up for when a specific field has any value entered it sends an notification to recipients.

This works fine but only when no attachments are on the row.

If an attachment is added to the row (before) the trigger cell has been populated with the logic of any value then no notification alert is seemingly sent from Smart sheets.

This is clearly causing us issues.

Is there a setting to allow the alerts with attachment or is this simply an user restriction.

kind regards

Craig

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Craig S

The attachments shouldn't make any difference.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots of the Workflow? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Craig,

I'm not sure if you've found a solution yet, but thought I'd leave a comment just in case or for anyone else having the same issue.

First, I would make sure that you have "Include my changes in sheet notifications" checked in your notification settings just in case you're testing the workflow with your own email.

In order for a notification email to include an attachment, the attachment has to be the trigger for the workflow. (I believe this is due to how files are stored in the sheet, but this has been a point of frustration for many Smartsheet users and I'm hoping Smartsheet will find a solution to this.)

One workaround I found is to use a second sheet to bounce row data off of.

1. Create a second sheet to use as this bounce sheet.
    2. In the original sheet, set up a workflow to move a row to the second sheet with your chosen trigger.
    3. In the second sheet, set up a workflow for when new rows are added, to move the row (back to) the original sheet.
    4. In the original sheet, set up a workflow to alert someone when a new row is added. The attachment will be included along with the row data as it bounces around and it will also be included in the notification email.

Hope that helps!