Cell linking based on the cell value from the source sheet

Let's assume for a second that I have a file that is titled "Project Info". I also have a folder called "Projects". Every file in the project folder has the same columns though the project names are different. In Project Info, each filled row will have a unique key that references one of the files in Projects.

What I am trying to do is figure out how, if a line is added to the Project Info file, to automatically import that new line into another file that is determined based on the unique identifier.

It can be done in Excel, but is this possible on Smartsheet? Could I do it for a Sheet Summary?

Thank you for your help!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Eric C.

I hope you're well and safe!

If I understand your use case correctly, you could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• This was actually very helpful and will help with the linkage; however, the issue I am currently trying to solve is how to automatically enter the key into the project folder. At the moment we have to do it manually. What I initially came up with is to input a primary key into each project folder where every time a new project is created, it triggers an automation to pull the key from a lookup table then add one to that table. From there, I could INDEX/MATCH as you said with a primary key from the Project Info although I imagine the only way to do this would be to create an automation upon folder creation which isn't possible from my understanding.

My issue is actually very similar to this one: https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/71042/querying-details-from-the-sheet-name , but according to this, some form of manual entry is necessary in the Project folder.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Eric C.

Excellent!

Happy to help, and glad to hear it was helpful!

How did it go?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.