Indenting on smartsheet causing calculation error- help?

Hello,

My organization uses smartsheet as a scheduling tool. We have a column that calculates what resource hours we have remaining for available scheduling (formula =((# of crew members * work days * work hours) - SUM(CHILDREN())) in my case specifically, =((8 * 5 * 7) - SUM(CHILDREN())) )

If a work order has multiple operational steps it is included in the smartsheet for visibility/counting hours, but then indented for a cleaner view. It has been discovered that the calculation is affected by the indentation. See in the below screenshot the black box- those two lines are the same work order, the second line with 2.6 hours is what is indented. If outdented the available RE's changes to 77.5, but if indented (and as shown in the screenshot) it reflects 80.1 hours.

How can this be corrected so that the formula is calculating all hours, even if the line is indented?

Help!

Best Answer

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @snhawkin ,

You will want to use the DESCENDANTS function. This will allow you to sum all children and grandchildren (and any great-grandchildren, etc.) - anything that is a descendant of the parent row.

Hope this helps! Let me know if it works.

Best,

Heather

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!