Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Monitoring project activity

Chris Winfield
Chris Winfield ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Has anyone got tips for quick ways to see who last updated a project and when it was last modified?

I'd like to be able to quickly identify which projects have not been visited by their project lead for a given period of time so I can report this to exec sponsors.

The home tab shows when a sheet was last updated, but not who by, and I can't figure out a good way to do this with a report.

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• You can use add two coliumns for Modified and Modified By (Auto Number/System column type) then report on a particular row that you know is going to change. and hide these columns. This creates a timestamp and user for that row. If you don't have a row that you know will update every time the project then create a Column called, for example,  "Last Save Date" and put in "=TODAY()" formula which will update with the date when the project was saved; you can then run a report on any sheets where the "Last Saved Date" value is not null. You could also hide this column if you want. Note that this will only record when a sheet is saved, not when it is viewed.

• Jeremy Michels
    Jeremy Michels ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are an admin to your sheet you also can go into the User Mangment and select User Mangment Login History. It tells you if they are loging in and for how long.  It will show everyone. Also if you select any cell in a sheet you can look at the history of that cell. It will tell you who is doing most of the work. Just a thought. I think Kazarenko has a great solution. Mine will give you a great spot check. 

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Do not forget the use of Alerts and Notifications.

These can be used to notify you when things have changed, or if things have not been done by a target date.  Additionally you can schedule weekly reminders for everybody to update thier projects.  You will then get an indicator that show that you are wainting for an update.

James

• Chris Winfield
    Chris Winfield ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

Kazarenco's solution looks like it will work well - thank you.

It's a shame this kind of information isn't more easily available, as it's going to be a lot of manual labour to insert this column into every project. An idea for future development perhaps...

Cheers,

Chris

• Jeremy Michels
    Jeremy Michels ✭✭✭✭✭

Chris,

Unfortunatly the blessing and the curse is Smartsheet has alot of ability and it takes work to create the perfect sheet for each of us. When it is done it is a total blessing. I dont know what level your licensce is but the smartsheet team is always there to help. 

This discussion has been closed.