Change in Report Summary Function

Was there a recent change to the summaries function in a report. In my example below the summary count would only calculate if the box was checked.

For example the adj approved count for this section would be 1 and the count for adj rejected would be 4, instead of it counting the total rows for both. Is there a way to change this back. I was reading about the countif function but not sure how to apply to all of the sheets that we pull from.

Tags:

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @NikiG

It's been confirmed that the COUNT behaviour on a checkbox column in a Report is currently functioning as it should: it will count all rows that contain a checkbox (unchecked or checked) as a number. You will need to Group by if it's checked or not to see the separate numbers, or use a Filter in your Report. An alternative would be to use a COUNTIF cross sheet formula to gather your numbers instead.

I've submitted an Enhancement Request on your behalf so a COUNTIF statement for checkbox columns in Reports can be considered for future developments.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.

Hi @NikiG

What you're seeing now is the expected behaviour for a COUNT on Symbol or Checkbox columns in Reports.

If you need to see individual Counts (un-checked versus checked) then you can set up a second Grouping in order to split out the two values:

This was a fix our Product team recently released as previously the grouping of un-checked values would have said 0, which is incorrect.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Genevieve P.

Hi @NikiG

Just a quick note to let you know that I've let the Product team know about your use-case and how this update has affected your current set-up.

They're currently investigating what the expected behaviour for a Report should be when it comes to checkbox columns and summarizing. I'll post again once there's another update on this, although I don't have an ETA for when this may be.

Thanks,

Genevieve

• NikiG
    NikiG ✭✭

@Genevieve P. is there any update on this issue?

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @NikiG

It's been confirmed that the COUNT behaviour on a checkbox column in a Report is currently functioning as it should: it will count all rows that contain a checkbox (unchecked or checked) as a number. You will need to Group by if it's checked or not to see the separate numbers, or use a Filter in your Report. An alternative would be to use a COUNTIF cross sheet formula to gather your numbers instead.

I've submitted an Enhancement Request on your behalf so a COUNTIF statement for checkbox columns in Reports can be considered for future developments.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!