Grouped Update Requests

M38a1
M38a1 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking for a way to send multiple update requests in a single email.

Here is the scenario. Once a product is inspected, I want to check a Smartsheet checkbox saying that it passed inspection. Then I want Smartsheet to automatically send out an update request to our shipping department telling them to go ahead and send the product. This update request needs a way for the shipping department to respond saying the product has been shipped.

This works fine if there is just one product being inspected. I can use the 'When Triggered' option in my automation. The problem is when I have 15 or 20 items being checked each hour. The shipping dept. gets inundated with emails. But Smartsheet automation does not allow me to run an Hourly or Daily workflow when requesting an update.

Is there a different way to allow the recipient to respond to a notification that doesn't require them to go into Smartsheet? I don't want them to have access to my main sheet.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Best Answer

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @M38a1

Update Requests are allowed on an hourly basis however Placeholders cannot be included in hourly automations. Does you notice include the Placeholders {{field names}} in your automation email?

As an alternative approach, does your license give you access to smartsheet's premier app Dynamic View? If yes, Dynamic View could allow real time visibility of what needs shipping, allow the ability for the user to update specific fields and does not require access to the underlying sheet. If you used a 'Needing Shipping' report to feed the Dynamic View, the Dynamic View webpage would be the real-time list of orders needing shipment. Potentially, this could eliminate the annoying emails to the shipping department all together.

Does either bit of information help with your problem?

Kelly

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @M38a1

Update Requests are allowed on an hourly basis however Placeholders cannot be included in hourly automations. Does you notice include the Placeholders {{field names}} in your automation email?

As an alternative approach, does your license give you access to smartsheet's premier app Dynamic View? If yes, Dynamic View could allow real time visibility of what needs shipping, allow the ability for the user to update specific fields and does not require access to the underlying sheet. If you used a 'Needing Shipping' report to feed the Dynamic View, the Dynamic View webpage would be the real-time list of orders needing shipment. Potentially, this could eliminate the annoying emails to the shipping department all together.

Does either bit of information help with your problem?

Kelly

• M38a1
    M38a1 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Kelli - The placeholders are what is holding me up. Thanks for that insight. I'll have to rearrange the wording on my message to be more generic.

Eric