Best approach to automate users having their own individual checklist for testing?

mbsamuel6
mbsamuel6 ✭✭✭✭
edited 01/30/22 in Smartsheet Basics

I have a project where an individual tester (end user) will need to complete their own checklist for testing a process. Each individual is assigned a role, so whatever role they are assigned is the template that they will use to checkoff items as tasks are completed.

As seen in the screenshot above, we have an example of one of the checklists assigned to James Bond who is doing testing for the "Telecom Field" role. The Telecom Field role has its own template for those doing testing for that role, while another template will have a role for "Distribution Ops" and so on.

The issue I am running into with this approach is that I feel like it would be too much work manually to send each tester a link to the template in smartsheet and have faith that those testers won't override the templates when they save their own templates in their name. Hopefully that makes sense?

A very simple way to explain what I said above is that the current approach is:

1. A link is sent out to testers taking them to the template based on their role (be even better if they didn't have to sign in)
  2. End users will have to save the template "as new" and begin working on the checklist
  3. Once they are saved it be great if we can get the information from all those templates onto a single sheet for analysis and dash-boarding purposes. Is there a way to do that easily? Or do I need to put in vlookups for every single checklist that is saved by the user?
  4. For the step above, the best approach I see is to create a report that gathers data from all the sheets

Based on all of that, I'm wondering if there is a simpler or easier way to do this. And I say that because the end users (testers) are not that familiar w/ Smartsheet so having trust that they won't save (override) the templates don't seem like the best approach to me.

Its very possible that my whole plan could be done better. I am very open to suggestions.

Best Answer

• BullandKhmer
    BullandKhmer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi there,

I would try and reformat your checklist so that all data points for each checklist fit into one row. Then I would set up a form for the intial data entry and automate update requests for data entry of the remaining data points.

This will have 2 benefits, 1. giving your tester specific fields to fill out & minimal ability to 'override' & having all your data stored on a single sheet in an organized fashion & ready for analysis

Cheers

AJ.

Answers

• BullandKhmer
    BullandKhmer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi there,

I would try and reformat your checklist so that all data points for each checklist fit into one row. Then I would set up a form for the intial data entry and automate update requests for data entry of the remaining data points.

This will have 2 benefits, 1. giving your tester specific fields to fill out & minimal ability to 'override' & having all your data stored on a single sheet in an organized fashion & ready for analysis

Cheers

AJ.

• mbsamuel6
    mbsamuel6 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you so much for responding.

I do like your approach and that was my first thought for this project.

The only back draw that I believe I would run into is getting people to respond to the update requests. had that issue before lol. I really wish SmartSheet allows users to edit the forms after they are sent out.

After thinking about this for a bit, I do think your way is easier and cleaner.

My process was to build a template for every single user, then send out email links to every user navigating them to their own templates.

Then simply have a main checklist sheet like you describe having cell links to the templates. So when they check off tasks on the templates, those check boxes will show up on a main sheet. But that will get kind of messy too.

I think I'm leaning towards your suggestion.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/31/22

Hi @mbsamuel6

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Adam's excellent advice/answer.

Two other options could be Premium Apps, Dynamic View, or WorkApps (Included in the Enterprise plan and higher).

More info: 

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• mbsamuel6
    mbsamuel6 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Andree,

Thank you for the response. I do like the idea of adding dynamic views and the workspace. Going to work on this. Seems like I have an answer. Thank you both