How to Hide Sensitive Data in Shared Sheet

Hello,

I would like to share a sheet with my team/editors however would like to keep certain columns hidden as they contain sensitive data that does not pertain to their roles. Is there any way to do that?

Thank you?

Best Answers

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If the members you are sharing the sheet with have Editor and below role, then if you hide a column (Right click on the column header and select Hide Column) then they will not be able to unhide the column. (Please note, that anyone with an Admin role on the shared sheet can unhide so please check the roles assigned)

• Frank Falco
    Frank Falco ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You would have to use either WorkApps or Dynamic View for this.

You could use a report to control what columns the users can see, but you have to share the sheet, which defeats the purpose. This is the standard behaviour.

WorkApps is definitely worth looking at.

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Answers

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If the members you are sharing the sheet with have Editor and below role, then if you hide a column (Right click on the column header and select Hide Column) then they will not be able to unhide the column. (Please note, that anyone with an Admin role on the shared sheet can unhide so please check the roles assigned)

• Frank Falco
    Frank Falco ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You would have to use either WorkApps or Dynamic View for this.

You could use a report to control what columns the users can see, but you have to share the sheet, which defeats the purpose. This is the standard behaviour.

WorkApps is definitely worth looking at.

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Paul H
    Paul H ✭✭✭✭✭✭

A published report breaks the link to the sheet and only shows the columns you wish, but its view only no editing

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @nlarson_PMC

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to previous excellent advice/answers.

• Beware that if you share a sheet or report with only specific visible columns, the viewer can still access all the information. (Edit row, Export)
    • I agree that Dynamic View / WorkApps are probably your best options
    • Another option, I recently developed a (what I call), Dynamic View Light. It's quite advanced, but in short, it uses cross-sheet formulas and INDEX/MATCH and a specific structure and method, so it's only possible to show data that should be available.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Andrée Starå My understanding of the WorkApps sharing is that you cannot collaborate with unlicensed users. Is that correct? (Documentation says - To share WorkApps with unlicensed users or free collaborators, an additional purchase -- WorkApps collaborator pack -- is required; which is a rip-off to the already high license cost)

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Sameer Karkhanis

Yes, they need to have a license (any paid license), or the WorkApps account owner has to have either a Collaborator Pack or the Advance package and enough Connected Users in the account.

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thank you all for the great advice!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/10/22

@nlarson_PMC

Happy to help!

Please support the Community by marking the post(s) that helped or answered your question or solved your problem with the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!