Integrate Data from other platform with API Access Token

I've never used API Access Tokens, so not familiar with how that works; however, we just recently started using a program called Samsara that helps us gather metrics on our Shared Service drivers. I'm looking for a way to integrate the Samsara data into Smartsheet. We created an API Access Token in Samsara, but how do I integrate that into Smartsheet? Is that possible?

Thanks in advance!

Tags:

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Ashley Pierce

Access Tokens are essentially like "logging in" to the application, but using the API instead of inputting your email and password. This means that the Access Token gives you access to a Smartsheet account (or your Samsara account), then what you do with the content in your account depends on the type of actions you want to take afterwards. For example, Update Row, or Add Row, etc.

Here is the API Documentation that goes through the actions you can take using the Smartsheet API. I would also recommend reading through this article: 5 steps for getting started with the Smartsheet API

If you don't know how to use the API yourself, there may already by 3rd party applications that have created integrations using the Smartsheet API and other programs. It looks like Zapier can connect Samsara and Smartsheet for you, see: How to connect Smartsheet + Samsara

Cheers,

Genevieve