Using a fillable PDF as a form to fill in Smartsheet

Hello,

I am looking for ways to use fillable PDF (attached) as a form to fill out Smartsheet.

Similar to how a form is generated in Smartsheet, is there a way for a fillable PDF to be used as a "custom form?"

Each field can be defined and mapped beforehand to the corresponding smartsheet and "submit" would update the sheet.

Any lead would be greatly appreciated!

Tags:

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @TheKSP.org

There currently isn't a way for a fillable PDF to map into Smartsheet directly and automatically add data to rows. Document Builder can take rows from Smartsheet and automatically fill a PDF document with that content, but it doesn't do the opposite at this time.

There may be third party applications that could help map this data for you, such as Zapier. Please submit your enhancement request to the Product team through this form, here!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Is this still true? There is no solution to go from a fillable PDF to a sheet? I was on with one of your Pro's yesterday to ask how I could pass information from an excel form my company uses to a sheet. Unfortunately the Web form could not be formatted the way I want, so she suggested a fillable PDF and to use document builder after that. However, are you saying that only goes the opposite direction? It would be very disappointing to find out I created this fillable PDF for nothing if there's not a solution.

My goal:

• Create a very user friendly PO request form that's either web based or fillable PDF
    • That form is then passed to an approver
    • That approved form is then passed onto the person placing the POs
    • The PO submitter would then be able to indicate if the PO has been placed
    • Ideally I would like all this information passed onto a sheet so that:
    • - Approver can monitor all requests currently in their queue (incoming report)
    • - Requestors can see the status of all of their submissions
    • - The data can be summarized and charted to look at spending trends/categories/etc. (dashboard)

Any suggestions?

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @JasonD

I am curious. What functionality are you looking for that the smartsheet form, followed sequential automated approval processes, will not work for you? Understanding where these fall short may help the community offer you work arounds.

• Kelly, thanks for your reply. I've attached the format for the PO request form I would like to use. The issue with the Web form is that I can have these multiple line items. We often have 6-10 line items under the same request, which would make the web form extremely long to capture all of that information. That will make it not very user friendly.

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Currently, where does your excel form data go? Does it feed an excel sheet or a sharepoint list? I currently have a process where I'm using a sharepoint form that feeds a sharepoint list. Leveraging PowerAutomate and DataShuttle, I move data into smartsheet automatically or as I call it, 'hands free'. My 'why' on sharepoint vs smartsheet was the organization doesn't just input data into the form, they often need to go back and update it. I haven't found a convenient way to manage all those permissions.

I have another process in smartsheet where an individual may need to add 1-? items. They seldom add more than 6. In my form, I show fields for two items. Then I have a field asking if there are more. If yes, I reveal two more fields. I ask if more, then reveal final two fields. If there is more than that, the submitter must submit a new form (I don't have the form refreshing each time so a simple browser backspace will initiate a new submittal with some of the form header info already completed.) So this my workaround for multiple entries and long forms

• It's currently going no where. This form is just the blank template that is filled out, and emailed to the approver and the person placing the PO. So my goal is to automate that process, while collecting the spend data for analysis. I'm not sure how much time I have to dig into learning how to do this with multiple apps, but I'll do some further research.

I'll consider adding logic to a webform for them to create up to 6 entries, but I still feel like it will be a bit more cumbersome for them to fill it out. However, it could be the exception as you mentioned and many of them may only be 1-2 entries long. For the person that places the PO, I could then use document builder to pass the information back to the fillable PDF I created which will make it much easier for them to visualize. Does anyone know of an easy way for that person to then be able to indicate the PO was placed? i.e. Will there be a task they can check as completed when Smartsheet sends them the completed PDF as long as I create that automation requiring them to provide a status update?

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

When I first read your post I wondered if, to indicate that a PO has been placed, you could use an approval step. Instead of Approved, Declined, the response is Yes or No. If I was designing a smartsheet process, that would be how I would implement it as a first pass.