How to link a checkbox from a checklist to a column in a Report?

LCarter
LCarter ✭✭
edited 02/17/22 in Formulas and Functions

I was wondering if someone could please help with linking!

I have attached two photos for a reference. One is of the checklist (which is the one with the rows) and one is the report (which has all the tick boxes in the columns).

I am wanting to make it so when the payroll box is ticked on the checklist , that is pulls through to the column on the report.

Thanks

Lichelle

Tags:

Answers

• Sandra Guzman
    Sandra Guzman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @LCarter,

You need to create a filter on your report to pull through the checklist when it is marked.

When you create your report, you will pull through the sheet and select the columns to display. Then you want to select the column title from the dropdown and then select "is checked." This will display only those rows only when it meets the criteria of the checkbox being marked.

You can find more info online via the link copied below.

All the best,

Sandra

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @LCarter

I see that you marked Sandra's answer as not helping resolve your issue. Is it possible that both the items you are discussing are Sheets, not Reports? A Report in Smartsheet has an Orange icon and is sourced from a sheet, which means you can apply filters as Sandra said to show only rows with checkboxes.

However it sounds like you have two separate Sheets (which will appear with a Blue icon in your folder), and that you are trying to connect separate rows across these sheets. If that's correct, then I would suggest looking into either Cell Linking, see: Cell Links: Consolidate or Maintain Consistency of Data

An alternative would be to build a cross-sheet formula that pulls in data from one sheet to the other, however in this instance you would need a unique identifier across the sheets so the formula can find the matching row. See this Webinar around 18 minutes in for more details: Essential Formulas for Smartsheet Users

Cheers,

Genevieve

• LCarter
    LCarter ✭✭

I was wondering if someone could please help with linking!

I have attached two photos for a reference. One is of the checklist (which is the one with the rows) and one is the report (which has all the tick boxes in the columns).

I am wanting to make it so when the payroll box is ticked on the checklist , that is pulls through to the column on the report.

Thanks

Lichelle

Update to Genevive, - I have a sheet and trying to pull something through to a report

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @LCarter

What sheet is selected as the Source for the Report?

If the Sheet with the Checkboxes is the one selected in the Report, then you just need to make sure that checkbox Column is included in the Report and it will show.

However if you're using a different Sheet for the source, then you will want to link the two Sheets together. Once you update the underlying source sheet, this will pull through into the Report. Does that make sense?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!