Copy Row to Another Sheet

Hi,

I'm using Smartsheet to track tasks in two different departments (Data Entry and Estimating) where Estimating commences their work when Data Entry has completed theirs. When Data Entry is done with their task, I'd like the row (actually only some of the columns from that row) to automatically appear on the sheet for Estimating so we don't have to re-type all of the data for that customer. I've read that all of the columns from the Data Entry sheet must copy to the Estimating sheet, then we can hide the columns that aren't needed in Estimating. Can Estimating add new columns, or change the organization of the columns? Is there a way to have data from the Data Entry sheet copy to the Estimating sheet without copying the entire row?

Best Answer

• Anelise Wilhelm
    Anelise Wilhelm ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Sabrina Beck you are correct. All of the above can be done except choosing which columns are copied to the second sheet. The whole row always gets copied. You can move all the columns from the first sheet that you don't want to the end of the second sheet and hide them. You can create new columns in your second sheet in any location and those columns will stay blank when the new rows are copied into the sheet.

In your first sheet, you could create a checkbox column [CopyToOtherSheet] (or whatever name you want). Then create a workflow automation that is triggered when this column is checked. Copy the row to sheet2.

Hope this works for you.

Answers

• Anelise Wilhelm
    Anelise Wilhelm ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Sabrina Beck you are correct. All of the above can be done except choosing which columns are copied to the second sheet. The whole row always gets copied. You can move all the columns from the first sheet that you don't want to the end of the second sheet and hide them. You can create new columns in your second sheet in any location and those columns will stay blank when the new rows are copied into the sheet.

In your first sheet, you could create a checkbox column [CopyToOtherSheet] (or whatever name you want). Then create a workflow automation that is triggered when this column is checked. Copy the row to sheet2.

Hope this works for you.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Sabrina Beck

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Analise's excellent advice/answer.

• You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.
    • Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi, I am fairly new to Smartsheet. I have a similar issue. I have one sheet with a column that has a checkbox that says "FOR CT". If the checkbox "FOR CT" is checked, I would like the entire row to copy onto another source sheet. Could you describe in great details how to do the cross sheet reference?

• Anelise Wilhelm
    Anelise Wilhelm ✭✭✭✭

Hi @cvallee, here is detailed info on how to use the copy/move rows https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2479626-automatically-move-or-copy-rows-between-sheets

And this article explains how to use cross sheet reference https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2476606-formulas-reference-data-from-other-sheets

Hope this is helpful to get you going 😃

• I am having the same issue as others in several ongoing threads. One of my sheets is an overview sheet and contains many columns. For different parts of the workflow, I need to pull out only certain columns. I'm pretty surprised that is isn't an option.

In several responses to this issue, you wrote "Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet."

What is the method for using helper sheets? I don't know what method was described previously or how to find it.

Thanks!

• @Andrée Starå

I have row with formulas like =sum(children()), when we copy it to another sheet, only copy the values, no the formulas. What can I do, to fix it. I want that copy with the formulas. Its no possible??

thanks

Johann

• Johann - I think Andree is referring to the following: "You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet."

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Johann

It will only work if the formula is in the destination sheet.

Make sense?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree,

I have been trying the INDEX/MATCH as you suggested. Does this require it to be created in each cell that is to be copied?

I gather I can make it a column formula, but is there a way I can copy the formula across the row?

This is a laborious way to copy 100 columns to another sheet without copying the entire row!!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Improve Consulting

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

To connect them row by row, you'd use an Autonumber Column in the Source sheet and add a so-called helper column to manually add the row id on as many rows as you think you need in the Destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!