User Access Review and Approval

Tanya P
Tanya P
edited 02/28/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I am trying to create a workflow for role owners to review and approve their user access. Role Owners have multiple users- so I don't want to have an email go out for each user. Has anyone created a report like this?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Tanya P

What about having a Time Based workflow that will send out an email to each Role Owner that includes all of their rows in a Notification; then in the body of the email you could include a link to a Report that's filtered by Current User.

This way if they see any rows to change (displayed in the email), they can click the Report link and be taken directly to their associated rows.

Let me know if you'd like to see screen capture examples and I'd be happy to help further.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @Tanya P

What about having a Time Based workflow that will send out an email to each Role Owner that includes all of their rows in a Notification; then in the body of the email you could include a link to a Report that's filtered by Current User.

This way if they see any rows to change (displayed in the email), they can click the Report link and be taken directly to their associated rows.

Let me know if you'd like to see screen capture examples and I'd be happy to help further.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Thank you! Yes, would you mind sharing some screenshots?

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Tanya P

No problem! So this is my very simplified version of your sheet, with a Contact Column for the Role Owners:

Then I can build out a Time Based workflow based on whatever cadence I'd like by choosing "Custom"

(once a day? once a week?)

I can use a Condition Block to filter out rows... for example if the row already has an approval I could filter it out. Or if a row has an approval and has a Modified date within the last 30 days (so I know it was checked this Month) etc. How you want to filter is up to you.

And then I select who to send this out to.

This is why we needed the Contact Column in the source sheet, because now we can select this column as the Recipient for the workflow. This will bundle together all of the rows for each Role Owner in one notification without sending them rows that are assigned to anyone else:

In the Customize Message field you would include the URL to the Report, or to this Sheet with a Filter applied, so that when your users click on the link they're taken to the rows that are assigned to them (along with the other criteria in your Condition block).

For example, if I was just using a Sheet Filter, it could be something like this:

The FilterID will be in the URL when you have this filter applied, so you can copy/paste this URL into the workflow to have it open automatically with this filter toggled on. (Or you can build this in a Report, if that's easier).

Let me know if there's a specific step that I can help explain further.

Cheers,

Genevieve