Turn Cell Formula into Column Formula

Hello everyone!

I am at the beginning of making some operations sheets for my job and will need to rely on column formulas

I have successfully input a formula in a cell and it works! When I drag the formula down, it works. However, when I try to convert it to a column formula I get the error saying that the syntax is not correct.

Here is my cell formula:

=IF(Subcontractor1 = "Sub 1", INDEX({Sub 1 Test Contractor Status}, MATCH([Project ID]@row, {Sub 1 Test Project ID}, 0)), IF(Subcontractor2 = "Sub 2", INDEX({Sub 2 Test Contractor Status}, MATCH([Project ID]@row, {Sub 2 Test Project ID}, 0))))

Here is the error I get back:

Thanks so much!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @mmeellaanniie

I hope you're well and safe!

• You can't use a direct cell reference in a Column Formula. You'll have to use the @row feature or reference the Sheet Summary (#).

Yours should look something like this.(for the Subcontractor2, you'll need to reference another column or a field in the Sheet Summary)

=IF(Subcontractor@row = "Sub 1", INDEX({Sub 1 Test Contractor Status}, MATCH([Project ID]@row, {Sub 1 Test Project ID}, 0)), IF(Subcontractor2 = "Sub 2", INDEX({Sub 2 Test Contractor Status}, MATCH([Project ID]@row, {Sub 2 Test Project ID}, 0))))

Make sense?

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!