Using Match Function with Multiple Contact Column

Options

Hello, I need to lookup a value in a table when a specific contact matches. I tried using match/index, however the column containing the contacts in the lookup table allows multiple contacts which I am unable to determine how to use match with multiple contact listings.

The use case is as follows: Send an email alert to all assigned managers in a particular unit when a ticket is opened by someone in their unit.

Any assistance is appreciated,

Thanks!

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It is currently not possible to use a formula to populate multiple contacts.

• Ross Ihrig
    Options

Thanks Paul,

I may have been unclear, I am not trying to populate a multiple contacts field, but I am trying to lookup a value if a contact exists in a multiple contact field. The HAS function works well to tell me that the name exists in the column, but I am unable to determine how to combine this with a Match/Index or VLookup.

Thanks!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Try an INDEX/COLLECT instead.

=INDEX(COLLECT({Range to pull from}, {Contact Column}, HAS("Contact", @cell)), 1)

• Steve Reed
    Steve Reed ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Paul Newcome I tried this formula in a similar use case but it is not working. I am hoping you can help figure this out. I have two sheets--"Resource List" and "Crew/Resource Assignment" where I am trying to pull data from a multi-value column.

Resource List: The Team Members on the other sheet are in a multiple contact list. On this sheet, I want to auto-populate the Crew # column from the other sheet. I am showing the two formulas I have tried to accomplish this. Thoughts?

Crew/Resource Assignment: Here I want to pull the skills listed on the "Resource List" sheet for each team member. For example, the first two Names on the Resource List are assigned to Crew #1. So the skills here should show A, B, C, D (and a second C, if necessary). I am hoping that this can be done similarly to the previous solution.

I appreciate any help that anyone can lend here. It is baffling me!

Steve

Steve Reed, Smartsheet Practice Lead/Architect

ADAPTURE, Smartsheet Platinum Partner

sreed@adapture.com | 843.422.1484

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Steve Reed You are going to want to work with a JOIN/COLLECT instead.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!