Notifications for Contact List Column Option

Just wondering if the notification for contact list within a column setting has been resolved and we can now get notifications when something has been assigned to us?

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @kdashnaw

Yes, you can set a Notification to send to a Contact in a Contact Column in an Automated Workflow and it will send an email alert (as long as their personal settings allow this) as well as a notification within the Smartsheet App. See: Select your recipients

There have been no recent incidents reported where these types of workflows were not sending out (see our Status Page for any reports like this).

If I've misunderstood your question, can you post screen captures of your sheet and current set-up, as well as a detailed explanation of what you would like to happen? (But please block out sensitive data).

Thanks,

Genevieve

• @Genevieve P. - thank you for the quick response.

I made an automated workflow, as well as made sure the contacts in the cell had their notifications turned on. No one has received a notification as of yet and we have triggered the workflow/changed things around several times. Can you assist? Maybe I am writing the workflow wrong?

• Genevieve P.

Hi @kdashnaw

I can see that the Workflow is alerting you to the potential issue in the "Alert Someone" box. Do you see where it says "some recipients may not get notified"?

If your users aren't shared to the sheet, you may need to adjust your sheet's Permission Settings to allow alerts to send out to email addresses that aren't shared. Click the underlined bit of that message and it should take you right to that setting to change it! See: Control who is notified about alerts and requests

If you have the right settings here, it may be that the automated emails are being sent to their Junk mail. Here's an article with more information: Issue: Email Not Received from Smartsheet

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Thanks, @Genevieve P.

Everyone in the sheet I shared has access to the entire sheet and workspace, but I did change the sheet permission setting to 'unrestricted' to see if that helps.

No one has received anything in their junk folder either, I made sure everyone checked.

Just frustrated because I made a workflow and we need these alerts, but it seems like no one is able to get them :(

• Genevieve P.

Hi @kdashnaw

I completely understand your frustration, especially because your workflow is set up correctly: when a new row is added or a cell is changed from one person to another (and then the sheet is Saved), the workflow should trigger and send an email to the user specified in that cell.

There are a few other things we can check:

• If you're testing this by adding your own contact to the cell, have you adjusted your Personal Notification Settings to allow alerts to send to you, even if you're the one who made the change?
    • Are the users receiving an alert within Smartsheet in the bell icon? (This indicates that the workflow is running, the issue has to do with how the email is received)
    • If they are receiving the alert IN Smartsheet, has your IT department added all the Smartsheet domains to their Safe Sender list? (See: All email appears to be blocked)

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi @Genevieve P.

These are my personal settings:

The others in the assigned to column have theirs as the same.

Are the users receiving an alert within Smartsheet in the bell icon? (This indicates that the workflow is running, the issue has to do with how the email is received)

^No. No alerts are being received in SmartSheet itself which is weird.

We are able to get SmartSheet emails, because every time someone shares a new sheet or workspace or sends and invite, we receive those in our inboxes. So I don't think it is that...

• Genevieve P.

Hi @kdashnaw

Thank you! This narrows it down. It sounds like the workflow is either not being triggered at all, or that it can't find the correct Contact to send the alert to.

Can you post 3 screen captures (blocking out sensitive data):

• One that shows the contact column in the sheet with the circle icon next to each Contact
    • One that shows the Workflow in the Builder, identifying the last time it was Triggered

Ex:

• One of the sheet's Activity Log (if you have access to it), showing the last time you made a change or inserted a new row with a Contact value

Thanks!

Genevieve

• @Genevieve P. - looks like I fixed it for one sheet!

Do you think if I duplicate the workflow on the sheet that is working it will be okay?

• Genevieve P.

I'm glad you were able to get it working!

Duplicating a workflow should create another fully working workflow, so you may see multiple alerts if you keep both active.

• Sorry, I meant duplicating the workflow in another sheet, not the same sheet.

• Genevieve P.

Hi @kdashnaw

There currently isn't a way to copy a workflow from one sheet and paste it in another. You can definitely try re-creating the workflow from scratch to see if a new workflow will work!

• Okay, thank you for letting me know and for all your help!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!