Is there a way to RECONNECT a form field to a column in the sheet? Feature Request?

So here's the scenario:

You build a form and it creates the sheet automatically. Then, for some reason, you accidentally delete a column in the sheet. The form field still exists, but the column is gone. You recreate that column exactly like it was in the sheet, however, now the two are no longer connected. It'd be great if there was a way to just remap the form field to the correct column.

The work around is to also delete the form field, then recreate that form field, but it is a "workaround." When that new filed is created in the form, the sheet column appends to the end of the sheet and must be moved instead of going where it should go in the order in which it was placed in the form.

Also, let me know if you have a better workaround than this one.

SDB-Jason

"Jack of all digital trades."

Tags:

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

How are you creating a form that in turn creates a sheet that didn't already exist?

• Ha! I'm getting questions on my question. <--Sarcasm

To answer your question: If you're just building a form out from scratch go to the plus icon that represents the solution center, then select form. It will prompt you to name the sheet and then immediately open the form builder. From therre you build your form. When you're done, there is a sheet that matches your form build. When someone fills out the form on say a website or at the Smartsheet address, the sheet gets filled in.

Hope this helps. We use SS for all kinds of things. Glad to be of help.

SDB-Jason

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I very very rarely visit the solution center. Even though I pretty much live in SS, it has been years since the last time I looked in there.

Now that I have seen that particular piece and how it works (technically it creates the sheet first from a template and then just takes you straight to the form builder instead of opening up to the grid), I can answer your question although it may not be the answer you are hoping for...

Unfortunately there is no "easier" way to do this. Deleting the form field, recreating it, then moving it from the far right of the sheet to where it belongs OR recreate the column in the sheet where it belongs (insert left or insert right) then adding the new field to the form where it belongs. Either way you have to recreate the column and form field and then make sure placement is proper.

• Ultimately that's what I had to do, I was just hoping for less of a workaround. Oh well, still usable. Key is not to "accidentally" delete any of the sheet columns in the first place. Ha!

SDB-Jason

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There are no accidents. Just pop quizzes and random "on your toes" checks. 🤣

• Indeed

SDB-Jason