Equation to populate new number

Hello. I have a sheet with 4 columns: one is the name of the material (Material Name), the next is the quantity of that material that we have in stock (Quantity), the next one is who claimed this material (Claimed By), and then the last column is how much quantity that person claimed (Quantity Claimed). So for example, if we have 1000 feet of wire left over, someone can go and claim 500 feet of it.

I am looking for an equation or formula or just a way so that when someone puts a number in the "Quantity Claimed" column, it automatically subtracts that number from the "Quantity" column so the number in the "Quantity" is updated. Seems easy enough but I can't figure it out.

Thank you!

Best Answer

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@SYDPEN

So you're going to need a helper column for Quantity. This column should contain the "Starting Quantity," and the current Quantity column could become "Available Quantity".

In the Available Quantity column use an IF formula.

=IF(ISNUMBER([Quantity Claimed]@row), [Starting Quantity]@row - [Quantity Claimed]@row, [Starting Quantity]@row)

In English: If there is a number value in Quantity Claimed, subtract that value from the Starting Quantity, otherwise, just show the Starting Quantity in this cell.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!