Counting number of times a deadline is missed

I need a formula for a sheet summary that I just cant wrap my head around, might even be two formulas working together...Maybe I am over thinking it.

I need a formula to look at a "date1" column and a "date2" column on a sheet and then I need it to count the number of times the difference between those two dates is more than two days (two working days, Mon-Fri). Essentially it is just counting the number of times a two day deadline is exceeded.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Dan Bourque

I hope you're well and safe!

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Add a so-called helper column that references the dates in the sheet summary and then use a Workflow combined with the change cell Action to register each time it changes or have a copy row Action copy the row to another sheet and then count how many times it's been copied.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul H
    Paul H ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Dan Bourque

Add a help column "Networkdays" with this column formula, then hide it

=NETWORKDAYS([Start Date]@row, [End Date]@row)

Then in your sheet summary

=COUNTIF(NetWorkdays:NetWorkdays, >2)

• @Paul H

Thank you, that seems to work well! However, what if I added another variable. With the "date1" and "date2" columns I mentioned, sometimes in our process the "date 2" field will not be used. So in the Summary it will error out because it sees the blanks.

I cant seem to get the IFERROR function to work in the helper column, I want it to give me a "0" value if it doesn't see a date in that column instead of the invalid data type that throws off the summary. Thanks again!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Dan Bourque

I see now that I assumed incorrectly that you wanted to measure it on row by row basis.

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul H
    Paul H ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/20/22

@Dan Bourque

the iferror should look like this

=IFERROR(NETWORKDAYS([Date1]@row, [Date2]@row), 0)

another possible way

=IF(ISDATE([Date2]@row), NETWORKDAYS([Date1]@row, [Date2]@row), 0)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!