Calculated parent % complete issue

Hello -

We are using one of the templates to track a project. We track % complete at the lowest level and then use the parent rolled up % complete. We are seeing a very strange error in the parent % complete. I have attached a few examples that show the problem. You can see that the cost rolling up is not the same as the % complete of the total.

We have shown that the issue is with how the % complete of the parent tasks is being calculated. Any thoughts on what may be going on?

Best Answer

• JAM_BFT
    JAM_BFT
    Answer ✓

I went through and reconstructed the calculations in Excel. The issue is (as I am using it) that "% Complete" is simply a weighted average of the total days in the children. The fact that separate tasks have different monetary values over different durations renders the assumption incorrect. I am going to have to adjust all of the "BCWP [$]" to be "=sum(children())" because each task has a very different $/work day.

Thanks for the help.

I like the concept of using a column function but is there any way to make the function use "=sum(children())" where the children are 0?

Answers

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭

what's the formula?

• The formula is:

BCWP = BCWS * % complete at the child level

At the parent level it is the same formula but it uses the Smartsheet calculated rolled up % complete. The issue seems to be related to how % complete at the parent levels is calculated. I have manually check the % complete and can reproduce at a lower level but not at the parent level.

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭

What numbers are you expecting to see, and where?

• JAM_BFT
    JAM_BFT
    Answer ✓

I went through and reconstructed the calculations in Excel. The issue is (as I am using it) that "% Complete" is simply a weighted average of the total days in the children. The fact that separate tasks have different monetary values over different durations renders the assumption incorrect. I am going to have to adjust all of the "BCWP [$]" to be "=sum(children())" because each task has a very different $/work day.

Thanks for the help.

I like the concept of using a column function but is there any way to make the function use "=sum(children())" where the children are 0?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!