Data Mesh "Update Immediately" Questions

Ariana Arden
Ariana Arden ✭✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

When you set a Data Mesh to "update immediately," does it update when changes are made in the source sheet or the target sheet? Or both? Having trouble finding this info. Thanks!

Tags:

Best Answer

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Ariana Arden,

It may take a couple of minutes for the updates to pull through to the target, but “Update immediately” will run the DataMesh config when data is changed in the Source sheet.

Cheers!

Genevieve

• Ariana Arden
    Ariana Arden ✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. Thank you! This is helpful. So if I add a new line for example to the target sheet, it will not update? Thanks.

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Ariana Arden

That's correct: the workflow runs to update the destination sheet, so if you add a new row to the destination sheet nothing will happen as there is no update that should occur.

Can you clarify exactly what it is you're looking to do? I'd be happy to test and confirm expected behaviour. It would also be helpful to see some screen captures, but only if you can block out sensitive data.

Thanks,

Genevieve

• Ariana Arden
    Ariana Arden ✭✭✭✭

Hi Genevieve. I think your above answers my questions. I have a number of DataMeshes that run hourly to make sure to account for both source material data changes and target sheet data changes. This works well for our purposes, but I had some people on my team asking if there were options to update more quickly. It sounds like the best option is to stick with the hourly update. Thank you for your help!

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Ariana Arden

My apologies, I have run some extra tests and should clarify: if your new row in the target sheet has a matching Lookup Value in the source sheet, then this newly added row in the destination should trigger the workflow as well! If the new row does not match any Lookup Value, then this is when it won't run. You would want to add the row to the Source instead of the Target in this instance, and have the workflow both copy and add data.

If you're adding new rows with matching values, it may be that Update Immediately is better for your process!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Ariana Arden
    Ariana Arden ✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. Oh awesome! That's great to hear! Thank you so much for your help. Most of these matrices are product info lookups (ex. if I put a sku in one sheet, it will pull in the description, UPC, etc. from a product information sheet), so new rows in the target sheet will pretty much always match with something in the source sheet.

Thanks again!