Do group admins have to be in a group?

Hey there,

I have made groups that I want to continue to manage, but I do not want to be a member of the group. Smartsheet seems to add the group admin by default and when I delete myself from a group, I reappear.

For example, I want to make and manage an HR group, but I am not in HR. However, since I am the group admin, I appear by default even if I delete my name from the list.

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @DylBlake

You will be initially added in the Group by default as the Group Admin, but you should be able to then remove yourself from that specific Group. You'll still show up as the Owner on the Group Management page, but you won't be in that Group.

If this isn't working for you, can you explain what you mean by your contact "reappearing"? It would be useful to see screen captures, but please block out sensitive data.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• I went to create those screenshots and the issue resolved itself. I would "View Group", highlight my name, and "Remove from Group". Then, when I would "View Group" again, my name would be listed in the group.

This may have been a cached version of the URL for the group. Anyway, the issue is now resolved!

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Glad to hear it's resolved! Thanks for posting your update. 🙂

• sorokti
    sorokti ✭✭

It would be super helpful if you could choose to not become a member upon creation of the group. This is a lot of clicking to remove yourself as a member but stay as group owner. But I'm relieved to figure out how to do this!