Approval Chain

Hi,

I am trying to set up a work flow with the approval chain below:

Someone submits a form, it gets sent to a Manager for approval. If approved, the employee gets an email stating such. If it is denied, the manager can add notes on what to fix, it gets sent to the employee to fix.

I have that workflow set up. However, I want the employee to have to resubmit that for approval after the fix the error. And again, if approved, they get an email stating such. If denied, they get an email telling them to call the manager to discuss the issue.

For some reason, when I set up that second workflow, multiple emails are being sent to the manager and the employee. Thoughts on why?

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Jordan Ionita

It sounds like you might be using the same Approval columns in your workflows, which will trigger duplicate emails.

I would suggest using different approval columns for each workflow (edit workflow > approval action block > save response in).

You can also use different approval values for each workflow (edit dropdown column properties > add new dropdown values > edit workflow > approval action block > advanced options > customize status and buttons > "save status as" new values).

Here's an article that goes through Approval behaviour: Request approvals from stakeholders

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Jordan Ionita
    Jordan Ionita ✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. Thank you. Let's say the approval was denied and it gets sent back to the originator. The originator makes edits and resubmits, how do I get the status to change from declined back to submit?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Jordan Ionita

I presume you're sending it back using an Update Request, is that correct? You could have a checkbox field that they could check when they complete the requested changes, something like "Updates Completed".

Then you can use this checkbox as the trigger for your second Approval Workflow, which will record the second Approvals in separate columns.