Dynamic view

Preethy Jana
Preethy Jana ✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Is it possible to group fields in dynamic view? For example, my dynamic view contains 15 fields. These fields can be classified into 2 groups. The objective of the dynamic view is to gather information on individuals. My view contains name, role, photo, age, and contact details include email address and phone number. When displaying these fields, is it possible to divide them up in two tabs or is there something else that I can use to group them?

Answers

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Preethy Jana

Can you create a new column that is a drop-down choice of the 2 groups? Then you can create logic where if one choice is selected it will display the correct set of fields for that group.

The person interacting with the Details view will need to first choose which of the two groups, then hit Save. Then it would load the correct set of fields for that group.

• @Matt C.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I almost got it worked. As you suggested, I created a new column in my smartsheet grid with dropdown values. I then used field logic to select the how I wanted to display the fields. But when I logged onto dynamic view as a collaborator, I was still able to see all the fields in my view irrespective of the group selection.

On the attached screenshot, you can see I selected Personal tab, and hid the 4 columns. But I was still able to see all the fields on my dynamic view as a collaborator. This collaborator will be the one who will using dynamic view and add/edit values.

Thanks.

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Preethy Jana

You may have figured this out by now on your own but just in case. Here's how I've done it in the past.

I add the columns to the Details Panel that are needed for the Details view. However, the ones that you don't want always shown such as (from your screenshot above) Email, Phone Number, Role, Program Name etc you set to Hide. Then you set up the Logic telling it to "Show the following fields as editable" when the drop-down is set to the correct group.

• @Mike TV

I had the fields as required and it popped on every view. I tried removing the required field and your suggestion worked like a charm.

Thanks,

Preethy