Automation - How to Send One Email Notification for Each Changed Row

2»

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jbody33

I hope you're well and safe!

Placeholders will generate separate notifications when using placeholders with Alert or Update Request actions in change-based workflows if six or fewer rows are triggered simultaneously. If seven or more rows are triggered at once, the custom subject and body will be removed.

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hello,

I, too, would like a workaround for Update Requests that group items together. I completely understand how the workflow works, as Andree has stated. However, I would like the ability to toggle this summary email off. I have a time based update request automation set up with placeholder text on a sheet where more than 7 rows for a single recipient will be triggered. By definition of how SmartSheet designed it, they will get a summary email with all their rows together when the workflow time is triggered. But I would rather them get an individual email for each row, even if that means they get 15 separate emails. If there is a workaround for this or a place to add this as a future feature request, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Jennifer

• I am having issues with this feature as well. I have an employee entering between 5 and 100+ rows per day into a particular sheet. Each row can trigger alerts for up to 3 different email accounts. I'm wondering if anyone has tried entering a row, then manually saving and refreshing after each row entry, would this trigger an individual email for each one or would it continue to send out summary emails to each email account triggered? It would definitely be more time consuming, but perhaps a possible workaround?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Rebecca Bennett

I hope you're well and safe!

There's a short time until Smartsheet sends the Alert, and if there are more Alerts, it will group them, except when using the Placeholder feature.

If you use/add the Placeholder feature, you could probably edit five rows and then save, and it should work just fine.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I'm struggling with this as well, we are trying to process one notification at a time for a change record application and the batching of updates makes this impossible. You should at least have an option to have one notification per action available.

• It's a little crazy that this isn't an option yet. I'm having to update information one row 1 at a time by hitting 'save', this way the email/workflows send out individually instead of a summary email. Huge waste of time.

• I am experiencing the same issue. Fortunately, we have this support forum to collectively identify these commonalities.

When a solution is built into Smartsheet, I'll be certain to utilize it. Meanwhile, I'll begin researching the repeatedly referenced mention of the "Placeholder feature".