Formula for parent, child, grandchild auto add rows

I am building a spreadsheet for our new hire onboarding and IT checklists. When I add a new name I would like it to auto populate children underneath it. See my screenshots below.

Row 7 (Parent) - Dark blue would be the start date for new employees

Row 8 (Child) - Light blue would be the individual employees (we normally do 10-20 at a time)

Row 9-28 (grandchildren) - When we add a new hire (row 8) I would love to "auto add" these rows. Is this possible?

Tags:

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Mike TV Yes. There is a way to have new rows added using two forms but it does not indent automatically. It simply creates new rows with similar data points. But I don't think that is going to be the most efficient solution in this instance.

In this particular case, it looks like we are creating the same exact set of rows each time a new hire is added. Using the two form method would require submitting a form to generate every single row every single time. Bulk creating the same set of rows would involve setting up another sheet that contains each of the additional rows. We would then use a trigger on this new sheet to drive a Copy Row automation that will grab all of those rows and copy them over to the working sheet.

In the end though, it would actually be easier to just copy/paste from the working sheet to populate the new rows.

The indentations are definitely still going to be manual regardless of how the new rows are added.

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!