Is there an option to add new Metadata to select Existing Projects using the SS Control Center?

Milan Mathias
Milan Mathias ✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

When we created some new projects recently, we accidentally missed selecting a metadata (in the profile data) and hence some of our projects are missing this essential information.

In order to ensure that all our projects are consistent, I am looking to use the Global Update to add this metadata to these existing projects (100 projects) within a program (which consists of more than 2000 projects) in my Control Centre.

Currently, I only see options to introduce new metadata to new projects and no options to update select existing projects.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thank You.

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Milan Mathias

It sounds like you want to add a new field to your intake sheet that should also be pulled into the profile data on your existing projects, new projects going forward, and blueprint summary. In order to add new profile data from the intake sheet onto your new and existing projects, take the following steps:

Step 1 - Update the Intake Sheet

• In the intake sheet, add the columns you'd like to include as new profile data. Be sure to use the same names for the column that you plan to use across all of your sheets profile data

Step 2 - Global Updates

1. In Smartsheet Control Center, navigate to Global Updates > New Update > Add Profile Data
    2. Name the new update, and select your blueprint
    3. Enter the field names for the new profile data, ensuring that the field names are the same as the column names in the intake sheet. Add as many fields as needed, but leave the value section blank
    4. Test your update and review the test sheet. The field should be added without a value
    5. On the Apply Global Update screen, be sure to check the check the checkboxes next to Apply update to the base project template(s) and Include Project Profile Data in reporting sheet if missing
    6. Select all the projects you wish to update, and apply the updates. If any projects fail, run the global update a second time.

Step 3 - Update the Blueprint Summary

1. After the field is added to all existing projects, navigate to Manage Program > Blueprint editor > Customize Profile Data
    2. Click Add Field and add the new profile data field. Populate the field from the Intake Sheet
    3. Click Next to go to the Blueprint Summary editor. Be sure that the new field is included/checked in the Summary Data Fields section
    4. Continue through the Blueprint editor and save

Step 4 - Generate the Cell Links

1. Navigate to My Projects in SCC and click the project name
    2. Select Edit Project Information to configure the global fields
    3. Click Update. You'll see a message that you haven't made any changes. Click Yes to continue
    4. Repeat these steps for each project. Unfortunately, there is not a way to do this in bulk at this time.

Once you've completed the above steps, you can refresh or navigate to the updated projects to confirm that the profile data field is now present and cell linked to the Intake Sheet. 

If you have any questions about this, it may be best to contact our Support team so they can clarify further and discuss this one-on-one with you for your specific account.

As a Moderator I'm able to see that your account is eligible to book Pro Desk sessions which are screen-sharing coaching sessions. We have a category specifically for Control Center if you would like to walk through this with someone, see here: https://www.smartsheet.com/pro-desk

Cheers!

Genevieve

• earl_bennett
    earl_bennett ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, @Genevieve P.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm trying something similar.

I added two entries to the project metadata sheet containing the total open risks and issues, with the intention that this is linked over to the Blueprint Summary sheet. I haven't made any changes to the intake sheet. I believe I have Control Center setup so the risk data will be populated for new projects, but do I now need to manually change and insert 100's of links/formulas into the metadata and summary sheets for the existing projects?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @earl_bennett

To do this, you will need to add new Profile data and add it so that it appears in the Metadata sheet. Doing this via Global Update will add it to all projects.

Then you will need to go through Blueprint builder and add it it as a summary, making sure that you have selected it as Profile Data in the 'Profile Data Selection' page.

Once you have done this, it should be added to the Summary for all projects, new and old.

If you need help implementing this, I would suggest connecting with your Customer Success manager or talking with Smartsheet Support directly.

Cheers!

Genevieve

• @Genevieve P. ,

Is this still the case? are there any ways to work around having to update reporting for each project? are there any plans at SmartSheet to provide this functionality?