Combining Form Submission Data with Already Existing Row Data

Hello All,

I'm looking for a way to combine form submission data with data that already exists in a row. For example my row has the item information for something we're trying to resell. The form goes out to the resell companies for them to make an offer. If an offer is made its populate on a separate row. Would love to find a way to have their offer populate or copy/paste on the same row as the original data.

Thoughts?

Answers

• Eva
    Eva ✭✭✭✭

@MTCavanaugh The only way to have row information updated, is by sending an update request. Otherwise, I believe that there are add-ons that you can purchase, but without add-ons the option doesn't exist.

Eva

• Shimanta Roy
    Shimanta Roy ✭✭✭✭

You can send update request form via Automation workflow. You have existing data in a row where you need more information from the resell companies in other fields. Send those fields as update requests via workflow so that whenever they fill up the update request form, that information will be auto populated in the same row.

• I am testing this automation workflow now. Initially, I customized the form to provide additional help text and format the look and feel (radio buttons, select options). My understanding is that update requests, even when through the automated workflow, cannot use a customized form. Is that correct or do I still have more to learn? Thanks!

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 06/16/22

Hi @Martin Hurd

You are correct. Update Requests send the row from the sheet (with the fields you specify) to the email address. It's different than building a custom Form from the sheet, which adds new rows.

Here's some documentation on Update Requests: Automatically request updates on tasks

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Thanks @Genevieve P.

So if we are using a custom form, we will always get a new row. The form recipients self-report all information. It is not straightforward to "pre-populate" any of the data returned by a form with validated records. When I send out a form to multiple project managers, the recipients could mis-identify the projects their supposed to be reporting on.

I can use the update request (to guarantee they're reporting onto the correct row (project)), but I cannot make use the form with help tips.? That is unfortunate.