Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Filtering

Katherine Senzee
Katherine Senzee Employee Admin
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

What's the best way to show just the rows in a sheet that are assigned to me? If I apply a filter to the column it affects the sheet for everyone else, right?

Comments

• A filter is the best route to go and it won't affect the view for any other shared user. 

• I would create a report which you can always go to -- showing just your rows and those columns which pertain to the data you want to see.

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/06/15

Either of these methods is good, but I assume that you are using a Project sheet as the category id Project management.  The report method will not display the Gantt chart element.

Dont forget that data in reports is also editable, they work more like an editable view than being a static report.

• Can we add a way to add a search bar to the filter dialogue? It would help in quickly adding/removing the filter terms

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Jeff K - I will add your vote for this!

In the meantime, you can "choose from a list of values" which are organized alphabetically. 

• Pam Tadsen
    Pam Tadsen ✭✭✭✭✭

As a side note, I do see that the boxes that are checked (to allow us to apply the filter) are showing - it is just the filter has not been run in "my" view.

• Pam Tadsen
    Pam Tadsen ✭✭✭✭✭

Just checking for clarification, as I think the answer is above.

We have multiple project managers sharing their budget tracking sheets with a core list of people. We have set up a column to hide rows (using a check box and the filtering option); the PM has turned on the filters to hide the unnecessary rows, but when I go into the sheets, I can see all the rows (i.e., no filtering is applied). Is it correct that the filtering will not follow to shared users - it only appears on viewing the sheet by the person who applied it?

If this is correct, is it something that can be added to the list of requests? If someone has applied a filter, it would be nice if the filter followed the sheet (and any additional viewers/editors could see the same view as the owner).

Thanks!

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Pam,

Filters are Personal, if two people are viwing the sheet at the same time and one person filters thier view the other person will not see the result of that filter as they have thier own connection to the data and it is showing them the data how they want it.

Reports(Views) are structured and stored filters, but not only of rows but also columns.  Identify the "Filters" your uses need and create a Report(View) that displays that.  Some times two diferent views is better than one.

One with cost

One without

One open tasks

One closed tasks

James

This discussion has been closed.