Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Automatically Sort Rows in Sheets

ro.fei
ro.fei âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

As rows get added & cell values change, it would great if we could automatically sort them in the sheets themselves instead of having to set up reports. Adding the ability to do this in a workflow would be a fantastic addition. Right now we have to do it manually.

âś… Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. This will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

280 votes

On Roadmap · Last Updated

We love this idea! The ability to configure your sheet to automatically sort is part of our long-term roadmap. We'd like to learn more about your specific requirements; please add more information to this thread so we can understand how this feature will work the best for you.

Comments

• marc4
    marc4 âś­âś­âś­âś­
    edited 03/27/23

We solved this problem with the api. We run a single line curl command every hour

curl --silent "https://api.smartsheet.com/2.0/sheets/$Sheet_ID/sort" -H "Authorization: Bearer $token" -H "Content-Type: application/json" -X POST -d '{"sortCriteria": [{"columnId": $Column_ID, "direction": "ASCENDING"}]}

/marc

• amorrow
    amorrow âś­âś­
    edited 03/27/23

I second this idea and think it would also be useful to be able to sort our columns in Card view.

• lindsayjones
    lindsayjones âś­âś­
    edited 03/27/23

It would be helpful to be able to automatically sort rows within a column from highest to lowest - that way when we enter a new value, it will automatically sort within the columns after we refresh the page. As of now, whenever we enter a new value we have to remember to re-sort it every time.

• Steven S
    Steven S âś­âś­
    edited 03/27/23

a sort function that is persistent

• Matocanovic
    Matocanovic âś­âś­
    edited 03/27/23

It's only one more request for column auto sort or even an workaround.

• Adrian Mandile CHESS
    Adrian Mandile CHESS âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­
    edited 03/27/23

Hi @Audrey Howard,

Is it possible for your sorting requirement to be achieved just by creating/using sorted Reports, instead of regularly re-sorting the underlying Sheets themselves. In this way the Sheet becomes a more 'background' data store of task 'records' (rows) as they are added (using Forms?) to the top or bottom of the Sheet.

Reports are configurable to 'remember' up to 3 levels of sort by specified columns (and within Groups). A Report could also be configured to totally filter out the 'Completed' status items, or only ones that are overdue, etc.

I find using Reports more instead of relying so much on only Sheets is a better way to direct the users' work.

• D.W.
    D.W. âś­âś­âś­
    edited 03/27/23

I agree with the above. The API seems like a lot of work. Heck - A workflow would work too - if I can default in a value, why can't I do an autosort that way as well?

• TomG
    TomG âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­
    edited 03/27/23

Hi Serena, are you still looking for input on sorting? I would be happy to schedule some time. This is a needed feature not only for myself, but our internal customers are current struggling with this issue as we have multiple folks working in a shared sheet with different sorting needs. They are constantly resorting every time they refresh their view which is happening many times a day.

• Serena Batten
    Serena Batten Employee
    edited 03/27/23

Hi Tom. Yes, I would still like to hear your thoughts on how you would like auto sorting to work. Please feel free to use this link to schedule some time. I look forward to hearing about your use cases in more detail.