Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

link to another cell

It is possible to have two differents sheets, but once you update one of them in some cells the other sheet updates automatically????

Comments

• Stephanie Taylor
    Stephanie Taylor ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes you can link the cells  Here is the link for instructions on how to cell link.  There is also a demostration video.

http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/portal/articles/861579 

• HELLO Stephanie Taylor

oh, that's perfect, i'm going to check it out.

THANKS A LOT!!!

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Linked cells is one of the most useful features in Smartsheet, especially for cascading information/statistics up or down your system.

I have just created a departmental budget request system that uses linked cells to populate eight departmental sheets with an event ID.

• Jim Hook
    Jim Hook ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Like JamesR said, cell linking is one of the things that sets Smartsheet apart from Excel and Google sheets. It is one of the key features I use extensively in my project timekeeping system. In our company each employee has their own project timekeeping Smartsheet where they can submit hours to any combination of projects and functional areas of work. In almost realtime any entry an employee makes is on their timesheet is linked into a consolidated timesheet for their department (for their supervisor to view) and then each department is linked into a master timesheet where all charges for each project get consolidated before they link to the individual project tracking sheets. From there the hours get linked into a project financial summary that our CEO can view and see exactly what's going on with each project, both in hours compared to the estimate and the total cost to date. This all happens within a few seconds. This system uses thousands and thousands of links to make this work in realtime. This is only possible since you can link up to 500 cells in one sheet to another in a single operation but I did have to modify the architecture in order to avoid the 5000 incoming link per sheet limit. In Excel or Google sheets you have to do a single link at a time--not practical for me.

• I agree, I like this feature - however It's no longer updating in my sheet.  I've saved both sheets, closed both sheets, logged out of smartsheets, logged back in.  Short of deleting my cache I think I've done everything I can think of to 'boot' the link.

Anyone else have this issue or ideas?Frown

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Wanda,

Strange we have not seen this.  Some checks that may help trackdown the issue:

1 - Are the link in and link out indicators still pressent?

2 - If you hover on them does the grey screen tip sill show the Destination or source sheet name?

3 - Have you Changed the name of the sheets?

If these are all ok log a call to support@smartsheet.com  giving as much detail as possible..

This discussion has been closed.