Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Recurrent tasks in a Gantt chart

Victor van R
Victor van R ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Is there a way that you can plot recurrent tasks in a Gantt chart? E.g., writing a monthly report  (1 day work) that is due every last Friday of the month. 

Thanks

Tags:

Comments

• Tim Meeks
    Tim Meeks ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Victor,

One way to do this would be to take your last monthly report and Save As Template.  Then when you are doing your next monthly report, Open the Template sheet and change the name for your currently monthly report. 

It will save the tasks that you entered on your last monthly report. You can then just update the dates w/o having to re-enter the desks.

Hope this helps.

Tim

• Victor van R
    Victor van R ✭✭✭
    edited 09/30/15

Thanks for the answer Tim, but this is not what I meant. Let me try to explain more clearly. 

I have to prepare an activity plan for a year. There are many activities that only occur once, but there also actvities that that are recurrent, like quarterly reports and the monthly reports that I mentioned above. I now have to schedule them 12 times for each month on a seperate row (which also makes the gantt chart overly complex), but would it also be possible to schedule them on one row? 

I think it is not possible..... It give me a lot of work as there are quite a lot recurrent tasks... Or is there, maybe with cell linking and multiple sheets....? 

• Brett Evans
    Brett Evans ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is possible.

I can think of a way where you should be able to set one row to show the next occurrence of the task only.  You wouldnt have a historical record of the task having happened every two weeks, nior would you see any future occurence except the very next one.

Would that meet your needs?

• I think what you are asking for is for a task to show up recurring tasks on a single row and in the Gantt chart correct? This isnt possible because the Gantt chart can only show data from one Start and one End date column (although you can have multiple Start and End date columns in a row).

You could do as you suggested and add a new row for each even, then group them together with hierarchies. Collapse them to show only the single parent row so it appears as a single row. Expand as needed. 

• Thanks Bobby, That is the way I do it now. It is a lot of work and makes the Gantt chart very complex. I dont understand your bracketed remark on multiple end and start dates. This doesn't make a multiple bars on one row, does it?  

• Brett Evans
    Brett Evans ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Victor,

I am pretty sure I could set up recurring tasks in one row.  Again you would only see one task at time, but youi would eliminate multiple rows.

-Brett

• Victor, what I meant was, you can have multiple Start and End date columns in your sheet but only one Start and End date column can be represented in the Gantt chart at a time. 

• Yann
    Yann ✭✭

Victor, I am having a similar problem and am curious to know if you ever figured out a way to represent a recurring activity in a Gantt Chart.  For example, I want to show a recurring meeting every 4 weeks on a single row. 

Is this possible?

This discussion has been closed.