Welcome internationally acclaimed photographer Matika Wilbur to the Smartsheet Community 👋

Arsineh
Arsineh Employee Admin
edited 06/06/23 in Show & Tell

Hello Community, 

We’re thrilled to introduce you to internationally acclaimed photographer and Project 562 founder, Matika Wilbur from the Swinomish and Tulalip Peoples. Matika’s the first artist-in-residence for The First Residence — the first-ever artist residency hosted by the Seattle Kraken and Climate Pledge Arena. 

“The Salmon People” curated by Matika Wilbur

In collaboration with renowned Puyallup artist Shaun Peterson, Matika merges the tradition of Coast Salish art practice with illustrations, video, regalia, projection mapping, and motion tracking to create a playful underwater world in which salmon appear to follow people as they walk by. When activated, the salmon transform into a beautiful Coast Salish Salmon Dance. 

"The Salmon People" urges onlookers to consider the human impacts on salmon habitat and climate change." For thousands of years the Coast Salish people of the Pacific Northwest have organized their lives around the management and return of the Salmon People who are considered relatives. Exponential population growth and urbanization has diminished healthy habitats for the Salmon People, with whom Coast Salish Natives have thrived in reciprocity for generations. Matika’s installation invites us to consider how we can be better stewards of Salmon. It will take all of us to create a world that upholds the continuity of the Salmon People.

About Matika Wilbur

As co-host of the podcast All My Relations, Matika invites listeners to explore relationships with land, cultural relatives, and to one another. She’s also the founder and photographer of Project 562, a national photography project focused on highlighting over 562 federally recognized tribes, journeying more than 400,000 miles in pursuit of one goal — to change the way we see Native America. Her highly anticipated book, “Project 562: Changing The Way We See Native America” will be on shelves in spring 2023.

What’s The First Residence?

An official presenting partner of Climate Pledge Arena and the Seattle Kraken, Smartsheet centers Indigenous art and ecological knowledge through the lens of internationally acclaimed photographer, Matika Wilbur. Given their ambitious green initiatives and progressive social stances, Climate Change Arena and the Seattle Kraken are no strangers to work that matters. And now, with The First Residence, a first-of-its-kind partnership has arrived at a first-of-its-kind arena.

Show your support

1) Claim your First Residence badge

Show your support for the First Residence and Matika Wilbur by claiming the First Residence badge and highlighting it on your profile. Request badge.

2) Enter for a chance to win Matika’s book 

You have a chance to win to “Project 562: Changing The Way We See Native America” when it’s released! Matika’s installation invites us to consider how we can be better stewards of the Salmon People, and we’re bringing the conversation to you! Learn more about the collaborative exhibition curated by Matika and reflect on its themes with any of these prompts: How does Matika's art make you feel? or Tell us about a piece of art that has had an impact on you. Share your response in the Show & Tell topic using the hashtag #TheFirstResidence to be entered to win -- we'll be selecting 3 winners at random each month between now through April 28th. See complete giveaway rules below.

Comments

• Nick Burrus
    Nick Burrus ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The artwork is so gorgeous. It is amazing to see Native work represented. I grew up around the Navajo tribes (my grandparents owned a significant amount of land along the border to the Navajo reservation). It's a gorgeous culture, and there's so much more to learn.

We often talk about the two pillars of our society. Western vs Eastern medicine, philosophy, history, etc. But, we forget so much about the third pillar, the ones from the new world, the Americas, that our ancestors destroyed.

Dr. St Nicholas Burrus DHA, PMP

I build Smartsheets for the US Government, State Government, and about a dozen of the US Fortune 100s.

• Deanna Vandermeer
    Deanna Vandermeer Overachievers Alumni

I echo @Nick Burrus comment, the artwork is incredible. My family has lived in Western Colorado for many generations and were in fact friends with Chief Ouray and his wife Chipeta of the Ute tribe. Such an incredible way to represent Native work and continue to learn about their culture, so much to learn. I will definitely enter for a chance to win a copy of Matika's book but if I don't win I do plan to purchase a copy once it is released. Thank you Smartsheet for allowing us to show our support!

Smartsheet Overachievers Alumni

• Nick Burrus
    Nick Burrus ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That is amazing! I could imagine the stories of their culture were absolutely captivating. Growing up in New Mexico, I got to interact with Natives constantly. A lot of Navajo really liked my Grandfather, as he met them at the VFW. They were codetalkers in the war, and my grandfather always thought that was really cool. When they found out my grandfather owned a mountain with natural red clay, they'd come over all the time and give my grandparents handmade gifts, and dig up clay.

My grandparents bought a mountain by accident, and I think it is kind of hilarious. My grandma finally sold it, but, I miss the land. I miss seeing the endless red cliffs, the skies dancing in multiple colors of red, the shifting sands being red. It was so jarring for me to go to other places and see brown dirt.

The local Natives would invite my grandparents often onto the reservation to different events. I got to witness a lot, and, it was just breathtaking and an experience I wouldn't trade for anything.

I build Smartsheets for the US Government, State Government, and about a dozen of the US Fortune 100s.

• Deanna Vandermeer
    Deanna Vandermeer Overachievers Alumni

@Nick Burrus - what a truly amazing experience and memories for you! You should consider, if you haven't already, writing everything down. One of my great uncles actually wrote a book, that our family still has, of all of his memories and experiences. I love reading it.

Smartsheet Overachievers Alumni

• Arsineh
    Arsineh Employee Admin

@Deanna Vandermeer and @Nick Burrus I've really enjoyed reading your comments. Thank you so much for sharing your unique experiences.

• Peggy Parchert
    Peggy Parchert ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Love reading all these comments - thank you for sharing! My paternal grandmother has Indian heritage that I am just starting to research - she never spoke about it much. I will definitely be looking forward to reading this book.

• Nick Burrus
    Nick Burrus ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/10/23

While I shared what the native art means to me, above. The second part of this, is an art piece that had an impact on me. This would be a piece called the Heart and Rainbow by Yaacov Agam. This is an art of a series by Yaacov who likes optical and kinetic art to show change and movement. His abstract art is very captivating for me. This piece he had, I saw it on my first walk after my heart transplant and it was simply awe taking and breath taking. It was a little bit of a distance, so, it motivated me to see it each time during my incredibly difficult recovery period of 34 days in an ICU. The hospital has many artworks in the ICU including original Salvador Dali, and other amazing artists. But, this piece by Yaacov Agam captivated me to a point where I took a picture of it and wanted to see it each day.

Nick Burrus (@nickisashkir) • Instagram photos and videos

One of these days, I hope to be able to afford a copy of this to have myself. They hover around $1200 right now. Maybe in the future.

#FirstResident

• Cassi
    Cassi ✭✭✭✭✭

This is such a great and uplifting community to share and extend the wealth of knowledge. This has been a great experience looking at this!

• Arsineh
    Arsineh Employee Admin

@Nick Burrus, @Deanna Vandermeer, @Cassi, @Peggy Parchert We'd like to send a copy of Matika's newly-released book, Project 562: Changing The Way We See Native America. Look for a DM from me shortly.

• Cassi
    Cassi ✭✭✭✭✭

@Arsineh I am so excited to share this with everyone and really encompass the beauty!

• Sherry Fox
    Sherry Fox ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is a wonderfully exciting project, not nearly enough that highlights the Native Americans. And the artwork is simply amazing! This is a book that should be in everyone's home, and it would be an honor to place this in my library if I am lucky enough to win it!

Sherry Fox

Project Analyst | Core Quality Services (QMS Transformation)

Medtronic

EAP | Mobilizer | Automagician | Superstar | Community Champion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sherryfox/

• Cristina W
    Cristina W ✭✭✭

I have heard of this amazing book and project of photography, and I am proud of this author in highlighting Native American culture with a camera. Amazing.

• Tammy Sutton
    Tammy Sutton ✭✭✭✭

I'm excited to be a part of this amazing community. The art is beautiful and insightful!

Tammy Sutton, CSM, CSPO

Project Manager | MilkTracker

AngelEye Health

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tammy-sutton/

• dnavarrete
    dnavarrete ✭✭✭

Hi @Nick Burrus @Deanna Vandermeer ,

If and when you do decide to write your own book, please let me know I would love to read it.

Loved reading each comment, thanks for sharing.