Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Automations: include attachments

When selecting attachments for an Automation Workflow, we should have the option to include all the attachments in the notification email instead of sending only the last attachment if it was attached after the last save of the sheet.

109 votes

On Radar · Last Updated

While this change is not part of our current plan, we appreciate you sharing this idea. Please keep commenting on or upvoting this and other ideation posts that interest you – your feedback plays a big role in shaping our decisions for the future.

Comments

• Susan L.
    Susan L. ✭✭✭✭

I'm having a similar issue. I'd like to include an attachment in an automated workflow when a particular status is changed, BUT, Smartsheet doesn't include attachments unless they are the triggering event (see screenshot below). I'd simply like to attach a file to a row and have that same attachment included as part of my automation message without having to make the physical act of attaching the file be the trigger. Note that the "Include attachments" options does not work in this scenario.

What happens now:

What I want to happen (sensitive information redacted):

• Marlana K.
    Marlana K. ✭✭✭✭✭

We use the Generate documents feature to generate a PDF that needs to be sent to another department to load into an application they use for tracking. The only way I have found that I can send this PDF is through an update request which requires them to open the request and download the PDF then upload into their system, creating additional steps for that department. What we are looking for is a way to just send the PDF attachment no links to the sheet.

Any suggestions or work arounds that anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Donna Kesterson and others,

I hope you're well and safe!

As a workaround, you can trigger an Update Request and include attachments, and it will always include the attachments.

I used this method recently in a client solution to include instructions for EV charging, and at the same time, we asked the customer for feedback on the work.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree,

(Sorry I do not know how to add an accent on my VM Windows machine!)

This kind of makes sense, but where are you housing the instructions for EV charging in your sheet? For context, we have a couple of attachments that we need to send out at various stages of the lifecycle of a hire. It would not make sense for every attachment to get sent out every time, because some are pertinent to hiring managers, while others are for the new hire. Do you have a workaround for this? Simply being able to attach a file would be much easier...

Thanks!

• H Brian
    H Brian ✭✭✭

I am currently working on a sheet where there will be multiple attachments generated from each row - one or two will be internal-facing, one or two will be external, depending on the answers to the form. From the answers to this forum, it appears that the end-user will need to receive an Update Request to be able to download all the appropriate files until Smartsheet is able to correct this issue for developers. I was hopeful that a single email would be the solution so the employee would have access to the files easily in their inbox for future reference.

• Hello everyone,

I discovered a type of work around that may assist others that want all attachments for a row to be sent out with an alert even when the attachments were linked to the row at different times by different users.

My workflow (automation) contains update requests that retrieve attachments from multiple users and once complete a document (PDF) is generated. I needed all the attachments + PDF to be sent to the affected users in (1) final email. We accomplished this by creating a 2nd sheet and once all the operations were complete on Sheet 1 we created an automation for when the last attachment was added (Generated PDF) it triggered the row to be copied to the 2nd sheet. Then on the 2nd sheet another automation was setup to be triggered upon attachment "added" and to alert users and include links to sheets (and attachments). It seems Smartsheets sees the copied row to sheet 2 as having new attachments and thus an email alert is sent including links to all attachments in the row! 😊

I hope this helps someone as it was frustrating for me while trying to design my Change Order work flow and not having the ability to include all row attachments in the alert if they were added at different times.

Have a great day!

• KCPCA
    KCPCA ✭✭

Hello, I am adding an additional request for being able to include a PDF attachment on automations. I have a workflow that generates documents that are individual certificates of completion. I then need to send these certificates out to different individuals, each on a distinct row with the corresponding attachment. I have tried to use the update request workaround but it is confusing to non-Smartsheet users, who are the majority of my recipients. The ability to simply include an attachment to an automated alert would be very useful.