Formula to count number of items if it matches both headings.

Hello,

I am currently stuck on this formula. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but the formula keeps on providing a return of "1" for everything, when I know I have "2" counts of items which are under category 1 and have a status of in progress.

=COUNT(COLLECT({Status}, $Label@row, {Project Category}, [Category 1]$1))

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!!

Best Answer

• Danielle Arteaga
    Danielle Arteaga ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Not sure you need "COLLECT" here (or the fixed reference to the Label column).

Try this instead: =COUNTIFS({Status}, Label@row, {Project Category}, [Category 1]$1)

I created some sample data (including a cross-sheet), and this worked.

Answers

• Jason Tarpinian
    Jason Tarpinian ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/26/23

Try updating your formula to

=COUNT(COLLECT({Status}, {Status}, $Label@row, {Project Category},[Category 1]$1))

Your COLLECT() function should begin with 2 ranges, one to specify the range you want to collect (then count), then the first range to want to use as criteria. I'm surprised it's returning 1, from what I see you should be return #UNPARSEABLE error with that. Let me know if adding the addition {Status} range fixes it!

You could also use a COUNTIFS() function if the COLLECT() keeps giving you problems.

Jason Tarpinian - Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• Danielle Arteaga
    Danielle Arteaga ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Not sure you need "COLLECT" here (or the fixed reference to the Label column).

Try this instead: =COUNTIFS({Status}, Label@row, {Project Category}, [Category 1]$1)

I created some sample data (including a cross-sheet), and this worked.

• Joyce W
    Joyce W ✭✭

You are awesome! It worked! Thank you!!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!