Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Alert notifications when web form submitted?

JLC
JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Is there any way to send alert notifications ONLY when a web form is submitted? I am in a scenario where I've set myself up to be alerted right away when Anything changes, but I have two co-workers who also need to be alerted right away when a web form is submitted. Would love to have this be an actual setting as opposed to creating a work-around such as having the web form user check off a box, enter text in a particular column, etc. I myself make manual changes to the back-end quite frequently every day, but my co-workers only need to know when a form has been submitted.

Any chance this is something that could be added in the future?

Comments

• Our company does this by adding an auto row number column and then setting a notification for the people that need to be notified of a new webform submission to send when that column changes.  Since the # is auto generated and can not be changed,  the notification is only triggered by a new # being added by a new webform submission.  I'm not sure that's the best way to do it,  but it's simple and works.  We keep the auto number column hidden since we don't actually need to see it in the sheet. 

• That is a great suggestion, Kelly! I will definitely be using that, appreciate the tip.

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the input,  Kelly! I ended up implementing your suggestion a little differently. What I did was add a new field in the form as a checkbox, have it automatically checked, and then set it as a hidden field. Within the actual Smartsheet I hid that column as it will never need to be seen or updated, and set the alert to notify my coworkers right away whenever New form submission (which is what I called the added, hidden field) changes.

• Zack S
    Zack S Employee

Hello All, 

As you've mentioned, currently the only way to be alerted when a new web form submission is to use different workaround solutions, which have been mentioned in the thread. Typically the checkbox workaround Jaye mentioned is what I suggest. As for getting a standard feature added to the app for this functionality, I'll be sure to add your input to our enhancement request list as a possible option. 

-Zack

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks a bunch, Zack! We love Smartsheet! :)

• Patrick Lawler
    edited 10/26/15

Jaye and Group, 

This exact problem can be solved using Azuqua, an integration partner of Smartsheet. I work for Azuqua and the conditional notification scenario you referred to is one of the many scenarios we enable inside of Smartsheet.

Using Azuqua you can set up a monitor for a new row added to a sheet via a webform. With the new submission we send an email using Smartsheet "Send Row" to the individuals you identify, whether it is defined to send the email to the same two people for every new submission or to someone who is assigned to that particular row. There are many different ways to set up the notifications based on your needs.

If you want to learn more please visit our app listing at Smartsheet here:

https://www.smartsheet.com/apps/azuqua

Please feel free to follow up with any questions.

-Patrick

• You can also use Zapier, which can format an email with particular data dropped into a readable format, instead of just bare rows (depending on what you need/who needs to see it).

Trigger app: Smartsheet

Action app: Gmail (or whatever client you prefer)

When the row is added to the sheet, you can drop the cell data into the email as variable text, variable subject line, etc.. In the case of Gmail, you can add Send From, CC, BCC, too.

My team uses this zap all the time. Works great.

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Abraham, thanks for the input. That would be incredibly handy, but I don't believe Zapier is free to use, is it? Would love the functionality of formatting an email with the cell data in particular areas.

• JohnHinkle
    JohnHinkle ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It is a paid service but they have a free plan which could fit your needs: https://zapier.com/app/pricing

• Yeah, we have the free account (5 zaps, something like 100 uses per month, 15 minute delay on zap activity). It works for us (2 zaps running about 30 requests/month), but could be restrictive for a very active workflow. 

Luckily, the other 90% of our work doesn't require specialized notification. Like John said, it's really up to you to determine if the solution would fit your needs.

• Shaine Greenwood
    Shaine Greenwood Employee
    edited 09/16/16

Hi All,

I realize that this discussion is older, but I wanted to mention that we're actively working on this feature. If you have ten minutes to spare, we'd love to get your participation in a usability study we're running.

For more information, see this annoncement:

https://community.smartsheet.com/announcement/weigh-smartsheets-next-strategic-feature

This discussion has been closed.