Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Use formulas in percent complete column with dependencies enabled

Ryan Yearwood
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

I have a formula in my percent complete column, but when I enable dependencies (in my predecessor column and duration column) the formula gets wiped, leaving only the value behind. Is there a way to keep the formula when enabling dependencies or is this just a limitation of smartsheet?

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi! Columns associated with dependencies (such as % Complete) have background calculations taking place, which is why you cannot have formulas in those columns when dependencies are enabled. If you want to have custom formulas in a % Complete column, disassociate the column from dependencies under Project Settings or create a new % Complete column that is not associated with dependencies. 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Travis,

Unless I am mistaken, the only time a % Complete column has an underlying background calculation is when the row has children. If that is indeed the case, then I would propose a feature request to allow a formula for % Complete when the row has no children.

For many tasks, the user is either done or not. I would prefer the user checks a box than enter 100% (it seems to be easier for them to use/understand). Then I can have the formula =if([Done]23,1,0). The user will override my formula when they have a percentage complete to enter.

Thanks

Craig

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Great suggestion Craig and one we have heard from a number of users. I agree, it would be useful to add formulas to the percent complete column and we have brought this up to the Product team during our enhancement request meetings. I'll pass your feedback along. 

• I would also like to hop on this particular feature request for the same reasons Craig has.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.