Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Automate archiving of completed tasks

Troy G. Biv
Troy G. Biv ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

I've copied a sheet of "Current Tasks" so that I can use the copy to archive my "Completed Tasks," otherwise they just fill up my task sheet.

I notice that there's a feature for linking cells, but I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to have the rows marked as "Completed" automatically copied to the "Completed Tasks" sheet, so I don't have to deal with doing this manually on a regular basis.

I'm pretty new to SmarSheet, so I don't really understand if this is something that can be done, but it seems like any task management solution worth its salt should have a way of archiving completed tasks and getting them out of the view of current tasks.

Comments

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Troy,

Smartsheet does not have any built in automtion, however it will work with other Apps and Zappier may be the one that can do this for you.

Alternativly, create two reports, one showing Completed tasks and one shwing all the rest.  Then work in the second view as it will not show the completed tasks.  This of course depends on what you do in smartsheet as to whether it is a suitable methodology.

• We filter our sheets to only show only uncompleted tasks.  The completed tasks are still there, we just don't need to see them daily.

• Troy G. Biv
    Troy G. Biv ✭✭✭
    edited 10/29/15

Kelly, that's what I'd like to do...How do you do it?

• Kelly Palos
    edited 10/29/15

On the column that has your status, right click and select Filter Column.  Check the Exclude Selected Items box toward the bottom and selected Completed or 100% (depending on how you have the column set up) and click apply.  All the completed tasks should then be hidden.

• Troy G. Biv
    Troy G. Biv ✭✭✭

Kelly, this is pretty good. I only have to click the filter icon and then one more button in order to hide the completed tasks.

I was hoping there was a way to automatically hide the tasks once completed. Even more usefull would be a way to move the completd row from the "current" sheet to the "completed" sheet, but this does make things a bit easier. Thank you.

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Troy! James and Kelly's suggestions are both good options! Just a couple notes on them...

Zapier can copy row content from one sheet to another if it is marked as complete. Once you have the 'Zap' set up, it will run automatically in the background. Check out zapier.com for more information. 

As for the filter, its is not necessary to reapply the filter each time you make changes. Once the filter is set, it will automatically refresh each time you open your sheet. If you want to force refresh the filter, either refresh your sheet or exit and open the sheet. 

• Troy and group,

Similar to what Travis mentioned this exact scenario can also be accomplished by using Azuqua, an integration partner of Smartsheet. I work for Azuqua and the scenario for detecting when a status column is marked as complete and then copying that row to a different sheet is one of many automated actions/workflows that we enable inside of Smartsheet. 

Using Azuqua you can monitor the status column on your sheet and when an update happens to a cell in that column check to see if that status is "Complete". If it is, then you have the option to either copy the row to the sheet you specify or move the row to the sheet you specify. Both options are available. This also allows you to move discussions and attachments associated with that particular row. 

If you want to learn more please visit our app listing at Smartsheet here:

https://www.smartsheet.com/apps/azuqua

Please feel free to follow up with me if you have any questions or would like to talk more about this.

-Patrick

This discussion has been closed.