Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Jira Connector uploading Duration in Seconds

smckinnon
smckinnon
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Something has changed.

I had a JIRA Connector working well, exchanging task duration in days from a JIRA Field, and a Duration Column in my Smartsheet

and something changed

The connector now populates my mapped JIRA field using seconds rather than days.  It used to populate the JIRA field in days, just the way it was showing up in the Smartsheet.   My developers resist estimating task duration in seconds - it makes no sense to them.

Any thoughts on what I could change to fix this ?

Comments

• I'm getting the original estimates coming through in minutes and was just going to ask how to change this.

Anyone?

• @smckinnon:

Yes, we recently made an enhancement that allows the Original Estimate and Remaining Estimate JIRA fields to be mapped to a Duration column in Smartsheet and used in a Gantt chart. The estimates will come across in a human-readable, sensible way rather than in minutes. Minutes are still shown for an estimate if the JIRA estimate field is mapped to a column that is not of type Duration.

However, we did overlook something important and introduced an issue that I suspect you are encountering. If you have a custom string field that was mapped to Duration, we broke this behavior. We have fixed this internally and, pending further testing, plan to release this fix to production next week.

I am sorry for the inconvenience and let me know if there is something I can do to help in the meantime.

A other couple important notes on the new behavior of mapping JIRA's estimate fields to Duration fields in Smartsheet:

• It is important to keep in mind that the duration of a "day" has a strict configurable definition in JIRA and a separate configuration in Smartsheet (typically 8 hours). If the definition of a day is not the same in both Smartsheet and and JIRA then there will be some odd behavior as the estimate/duration values are converted back and forth between the systems defining a day differently. A similar conundrum exists for "week" since both JIRA and Smartsheet give you the ability to define the number of days in a week. So keep a close eye out for this if you hear of customers complaining that Estimates are coming in with a different duration in Smartsheet or vice versa.
    • A task with a duration in elapsed time (e.g. e3d, e5h, e3.5d, etc.), which ignore non-working time are not supported with the integration and will trigger an error message on the row.

@Jones: If you map the JIRA Estimate fields to a Duration column you should be able to get desirable behavior. if you're looking for something different please reply and let me know here!

-- 

Scott Willeke | Smartsheet

Senior Product Manager, Automation

E: Scott.Willeke@Smartsheet.com

• Scott.

Thanks very much for the comprehensive reply.   I'll await the deployment of the fix and see if I detect any anomalies not discussed above.

In general I love the utility of the integration between the two products - it is very useful.

Steve McKinnon (smckinnon)

• It appears that this issue is back.   All of my time intervals are being converted to minutes, and trashing both my JIRA and Smartsheet Duration and Planned End date values

This is a real problem that negates the value of the integration.

Thanks for a fix...

Steve McKinnon

• Steve,

I have heard that our team was able to investigate with you and confirm that we have introduced an issue that is causing this problem for you. A fix is developed and undergoing additional testing and is planned for deployment Monday afternoon. Keep in mind that the date could be impacted based on testing and other factors, but that is the current plan.

Please accept my apologies on behalf of the team for the problems this has caused you and rest assured that the team is also taking steps to ensure improved testing is put in place to ensure we catch this specific issue and similar issues going forward.

--

• Steve: The fix for this issue was deployed to production today as planned. Please contact support directly on the existing thread you have with them if there are any problems.

-- 

• I am experiencing this same issue.  I am linking estimated time in JIRA which is formatted in days.  However, in Smartsheet, it still comes up as minutes.  Any updates?

• I have come across this thread after struggling for a while with this error message: End Dates on dependency-enabled sheets cannot be created/updated. Please update either the Duration or Start Date column.

In our workflow mapping, I've mapped "Original Time Estimate" to the Duration field.

My guess is that since we've got Dependencies enabled (to enable resource tracking), every time we update a row it's trying to update a protected/reserved field - namely, Duration. 

is this a related issue?

This discussion has been closed.