Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Can a “successors” column be displayed?

Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Can a “successors” column be displayed?  Troubleshooting a task list often requires confirming proper predecessor/successor relationships.  Simply seeing predecessors means that a user must search the whole document to discover what tasks are downstream of a given task.  This is not an efficient use of time.

Comments

• JohnHinkle
    JohnHinkle ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There is not a successor column but you can add a Text/Number column and manually add successor.

You can also use the Gantt chart - just follow the lines to find the successor.

• Steve Johnson
    Steve Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you, however that is not a workable solution for any of my applications.  My projects typically have over 500 tasks, so manually identifying successors and doing data entry is not workable.  Regarding the Gantt chart, trying to follow tens of nearly-overlapping lines across 500 lines of the Gantt is not workable either, especially when constrained to a laptop monitor for viewing.

Please consider adding a successors column feature in future releases.

• JohnHinkle
    JohnHinkle ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I certainly understand your points! 

If you add successors the same time you add predecessors, it wouldnt be too much more work for you. Rather than typing in one number, you type in two. Might be a lot of initial work (for existing tasks), but if you do this for all tasks in the future, it wont take that much more time. 

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Steve, I have submitted your vote for a successors column, to our Product team! 

• Steve Johnson
    Steve Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭

JohnHinkle: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that is a solution for the following reason.  If I manually enter successor data into a column as I create predecssors, that successor data is not linked to anything and will not be dynamically updated.  If I add a new task near the top of my Gantt, pushing all of the tasks downward by 1 row, then all of the manually entered successor information will now be incorrect by 1 row.  Yes?

• I have been hoping for a upgrade to add successors for several years.  It is a basic functionality of gantt chart software.  I would have that Smartsheet would have added by now.  It would definetly helpful when managing complex projects to be able to review schedule, especially since Smartsheet does not have a robust critical path capability.  

I second Mr. Johnson's comments that a manual workaround is not a workable solution. 

• JohnHinkle
    JohnHinkle ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ahh yes, I understand now. I didnt even think about that! Undecided Thanks for replying 

• Maarten Lindenbergh
    edited 05/12/16

+1 Solving this would be highly appreciated.

• ACollins
    ACollins
    edited 07/28/16

Now that Smartsheets integrates with Jira, this issue with not adding a Successors column is the only thing that keeps me from buying in whole heartedly with Smartsheet. Please add this feature ASAP!

• Solving this issue ASAP would be highly appreciated!

• Please solve this problem. Being able to view successor is just as important as predecessor. it is not a complete solution without it.

• Steve Johnson
    Steve Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭

Laddavanh is correct.

• I'm not able to fully utilzie Smartsheet for Projects without true successor functionality so I vote for this enhancement.

• Jennifer Greenough
    Jennifer Greenough Overachievers Alumni
    edited 02/06/17

Hi - Where does this stand? I'm troubleshooting a timeline that has a few hundred lines, and without the successors column it is a royal pain. It had one when I imported from MS Project, and I'm sad to realize that column isn't updating as it is now static. Is there an update on whether this feature may be added? I know that others on our Enterprise account who are used to MS Project will start asking about this as soon as they migrate their schedules.

This discussion has been closed.