Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Need to Receive Out of Office Replies for Update Requests

Tim Williamson
Tim Williamson ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

I created a Smartsheet to collaborate with a department that is in another facility.  The nature of our collaboration can be time-sensitive, and when someone is out of the office we need to know.  The process that currently exists is to use email, so we get the automatic notification.  However, when I tested this with a Smartsheet Update Request, I obviously didn't get any notification as the email is sent through a separate server.

Are there any work arounds for this?  Any plans to incorporate this functionality?

Thanks!

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Tim! To confirm, the user has an ‘out of office’ automatic reply set up with their email client but you do not get the automatic reply when you send them an update request? I just tested this with Gmail and it appears to send the follow up email to the email address that sent the email (user@smartsheet.com) rather than the Reply To email address (which would be your email address).  This behavior is based on how email clients send their follow up emails so there won’t be a setting in Smartsheet to fix this. There are better ways to track users time off/vacation schedules (rather than depending on out of office emails). Here is a discussion where some users outline how they track time off in Smartsheet: https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/how-can-i-use-smartsheet-track-employee-time-offvacation-schedules

• Thanks, Travis.  I'll look into it and see if that helps fix the issue.  I appreciate the quick response!

This discussion has been closed.