Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Need to build formula that includes a drop down menu as an option, need advice

I am trying to build a formula that includes a drop down menu as an option.

This is what I am trying to do ...

=IF([COLUMN1] = "Campus name", then [BUILDING NAME], otherwise "Please select your campus before selecting the building name")

* COLUMN1 would be a drop down menu with campus names

* BUILDING NAME would be a drop down list of building names on the previously selected campus name.

Can anyone gives me tips on how to reference drop down menus in a formula?

Comments

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Kevin,

You will need a dropdown for each campus with the relevent thier Building Names. The formulae would then need to be in each Dropdown column that loohs at the campus name and says either NA or select from here.

Understand that once they make thier selection it would over writethe formulae.

• I am confused by what you want the formula to do. It sounds like you want users to select a campus then select a building, correct? Is the formula just telling the user to select a campus first or do you want to building list to reflect the selected campus? 

• If possible, I need a drop down menu to select from a list of campuses. Then, a drop down building menu for the selected campus. 

Not sure if its possible to build this into my Smartsheet, but it sure would be helpful.

• You can have a dropdown list for your campuses and one for buildings - it sounds like you want the second list to update dynamically, correct? This isnt possible to Smartsheet but there may be another way to set this up. 

As James suggested, you could have a different dropdown column for each campus. Users can just locate their campus, then select the building from the list.

Will users be adding data directly to the sheet or through a web form?  

• Users would be adding through a web form. I would like the second list to update dynamically. I think it may just be a limit of what the smartsheet can do. I will need to come up with a work around. Thanks for your help.

• You might consider using Google forms, which can do the logic you are looking for. Google forms can show options based on what the user selects.

With Smartsheet Sync, Google form entries can be added to a Smartsheet. Check it out: http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1850129-smartsheet-sync-add-on-for-google-forms

This discussion has been closed.