Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

SETTING REMINDER DATES

JosyL
JosyL
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Hello to all,

I'm completely at a lost with formulas in Smartsheet because they are based on column name and location rather than cells like typical spreadsheets. The examples I find in the help are never similar to what I need, can someone help me please?

We have a column for Date of Request and Due Date. Reminders are based on those due dates but if for some reason the due date was not entered I still need to send reminders. So I created a Reminder date column where I would need to enter a formula that says: if due date is blank consider request date for sending out alerts.

Do you know if I can achieve this? My confusion is with the numbering of columns in the formula since our primary is not the first one. I have information on both sides so how to formulate my statement? Can I simply put the column name without it's position?

Do you know if a reminder can be sent only to the one person it is meant for rather than a group? We have a column ATT TO with a drop down list of names. We use Smartsheet for project follow-up and I don't need the entire team to received the email notification only the person how needs to take action but I don't know if it's possible to do this.

Thanks a lot for any input you can provide, every little step counts.

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/21/15

Josy-OBE,

In your Reminder Date column, try this:

=IF(ISBLANK([Due Date]23), [Date of Request]23, [Due Date]23)

This is for row 23. Once you've verified it works, copy it to the other rows.

Since your column names have spaces in them, you have to use the [] square brackets for the column name.

Set the reminder to use this column.

You can have the reminder only go to the ATT TO user as long as the sheet is shared to them. In the Reminder setup, choose the ATT TO contact list column.

Hope this helps.

Craig

• JosyL
    JosyL
    edited 11/23/15

Thanks Craig,

All seems to work. For some reason I was thinking the number in the formula represented to column location not the rows.

Josy

This discussion has been closed.