Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Smartsheet in Powerpoint - Not Gantt Timeline

Sarah Houser
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

I want to either export or copy and paste my Smartsheet into a Powerpoint table once a week. The text has to be editable after I paste it. When I copy and paste, it loses all formatting. The transfer process is going to be used by my director, and I can't ask him to do a lot of transformations or steps to reach the outcome.

I'd really like to keep our collaborative tracking in Smartsheet, but without this key feature, I'm likely going to have to put everyone back in PowerPoint.

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 05/12/15

Hi Sarah! Getting grid data from a grid based program to Powerpoint will be difficult because they are two different formats (grid vs page with text boxes). If you want that data editable then it will be even more difficult. We do have a an integration with Office Timeline which can be used to easily add timelines and Gantt charts to your Powerpoint projects (see: http://www.smartsheet.com/apps/officetimeline) but it sounds like you want to add grid data. 

One option would be to have a link to a sheet in your Powerpoint. When you get to that slide, click the link to open the sheet where you can make your changes. This way, you won’t have to copy and paste any changes you make to the data in the Powerpoint back into Smartsheet and the data you are looking at will always be the most up to date information.  

• One suggestion would be to allow a static url to a row in a Smartsheet to be added to powerpoint as a hyperlink. This would allow you to summarize a list of activities or topics in powerpoint with the hyperlink to the Smartsheet row. This would would eliminate the need to cut&paste updates from powerpoint and allow direct updates to the Smartsheet row.

Right now the "Send Update" function only sends dynamic url's and are unreliable for my suggested use above. Let me know if there is a better way to obtain the SS Row url.

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Bryan, it is possible to get a row specific URL.

When you send yourself a row (Send Row) the Log In button in the email contains a unique URL that brings you directly to the row. Copy this URL and add it to your PowerPoint presentation. 

This discussion has been closed.