Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

File Upload

cred itu
cred itu
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

We are considering using smartsheets, but noticed on the Product Tour page -> File Sharing, it indicates that the user can upload files to Google Drive, Bix, Dropbox, and Evernote.  Our organization prohibits the use of all of these with the exception on the Corporate Google Drive.  Is there anyway to limit the Upload of files to the non approved cloud services?

Also, I assume that when Google Drive is used you use your google account credentials and upload files to your account?  Thanks  

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Cred, the integrations with Google Drive, Box, Dropbox, and Evernote does not allow you to upload TO those services but it allows users to attach files FROM those services to Smartsheet. Enterprise SysAdmins can prevent their users from attaching files from those services if they choose. Here’s an article which talks about this functionality:

http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/portal/articles/1159581-organization-wide-account-settings-team-enterprise-only- 

When attaching from any of these services (including Google Drive) you will use your credentials associated with each of the services.  

• Thank you for the response, but the link you provided states the following:

"File Attachment Options: Enterprise Only
    Enterprise SysAdmins can edit File Attachment Options to disable team members' ability to upload file attachments from their computer, Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, and/or Evernote."

Doesn't that indicate that if not disabled, people can upload files to those services?  Or am I not understanding the statement?  I guess I'm confused with the term "Upload" in this case.

The confusion is likely due to the fact that we haven't used this yet and are trying to decide if this is a non-starter due to our corporate policies.

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Cred- The terminology can be a little confusing, let me clarify! You can upload files from your computer. That means the file is taken from your local computer to our servers where we are hosting attachments. When you use Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, and Evernote, you are attaching the files from those services. The file is not hosted by Smartsheet, the file is hosted by the respective service. When you attach those files, you are only create a link between Smartsheet and that service. That is why these file do not count towards your Smartsheet storage limit, but files you upload from your computer will. 

I agree the wording can be confusing and I spoke with my colleague who manages the Help Center and requested that the wording is changed. 

• We share the same concerns. While we accept the Linking from different Webservices, we wish to introduce an extra button that links content from our on-premise Alfresco Enterprise One system. 

Alfresco Enterprise One has a CMIS and Rest API interface and we think Smartsheet Enterpise will be extremly popular for the Enterprise if it develops such a strategic feature. 

More over a simple "featured" Link button may promote intuition in users to Cut and Paste URLs of a special nature. This is a simple temporary work around that requires minimal changes ny smartsheet. 

This discussion has been closed.