Tire Maintenance - Form / Spreadsheet Assistance

Options
Rockee
Rockee
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hello All,

Today is my first day (YAY!). I'm digging Smartsheet thus far, although, I'm looking for suggestions. I've been tasked with creating a Tire Maintenance Program. So far I've put the basic asset information (Year, Make, Model, VIN, Tire Size(s).

Screen shot will help make sense of this. The key part is trying to track which tires are replaced and capture mileage (price and associated PO will be added at a later date) to see what tires we are getting the best value out of. I went with the row indentation thinking this would be accessible via creating a user form, however, I was wrong lol.

Once it is set up, I would like the user to be able to update using a form. There are different tires (Steer, Tag, and Drive) for almost all of our units. 

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

- Rockee

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 4.05.45 PM.png

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Rockee,

Welcome to the community!

My suggestion would be to put all the information on one row for each record if you can and segment it there. Then you could run different reports or sort out the information on the sheet with the help of filters.

When a user needs to update the information you could send out an update request.

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå - Workflow Consultant / Get Done

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Rockee
    Options

Thanks Andrée,

So in essence you are suggesting creating additional columns/rows and then have it sort based off let’s say truck number. Then, hypothetically I could create a form for new entries without worring about the form being “dynamic”. I’ll give that a try tomorrow and see what happens. I’m hoping the sheet will refresh with a sort automatically so it doesn’t have to be done manually after each entry. 

Thanks again,

- Rockee 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi again Rockee,

Happy to help!

Let me know how it worked out for you.

Best,

Andrée

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Rockee
    Options

Andrée,

Well, I thought this would work out but for whatever reason, I cannot get it to sort properly. After a few trial runs, I couldn't find where it was adding form data, so I decided scroll around and it was there in row 985. Maybe I'm missing something? I don't need that many rows but it seems like there needs to be a 'clear content' option for the rows. When I sorted all of the rows it didn't seem to do anything.

Link if it helps make more sense( https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish?EQBCT=3b07b33f16e64e2a9cebb64834516ba6 ). Idea is to track tire usage and cost. Maybe I am going about it wrong.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/23/18
    Options

Hi again Rockee,

I'm not at my computer right now but you could try to change were the form goes in the sheet. Change it to the top. You can also add an auto number column to get everything in the correct order.

Let me know how it goes. 

I hope this helps you!

Best,

• Rockee
    Options

Andrée,

I see what you are saying, but if I add to the top it's still not sorting.

Ideally, my goal is the end user inputs the initial (new) tire replacement and when it's replaced. I guess two forms (but that would create more issues); one for new tires and one for once they are replaced. There doesn't seem to be an auto-sort after a form has been submitted. I would need the data to be linked or better yet group with its asset number.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Rockee,

To my knowledge there isn't a way to keep the sorting in the sheet but you can keep it in a report.

You could sort it by asset number and then you can see the information together in the report. Another possibility would be an update request when they are being replaced but then someone/something needs to trigger it.

Would that work?

By the way! Is it ok that the users can change update data thru a report or in the sheet directly? If it is it will be a lot easier to handle.

Best,

• Rockee
    Options

Andrée,

I think the simplest solution right now would be what you mentioned in a previous post. Have the form list the new data entry on the "top" and then set up an alert so I can adjust it. I haven't even dove into the reports yet but that sounds promising. 

Thank you very much for all of your help and ideas. 

Respectfully, 

- Rockee

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Happy to help!

Best,

Andrée

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!